Notices

need valves

Old 11-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need valves

I am gonna need to buy a whole set of intake and exhaust valves. What are the better valves for a SBC. I was wondering what i should look for in a good valve. I would like to know what materials work the best and if necked down stems are a good thing or not?.

Thank you guys..

Travis
Old 12-01-2002, 08:22 AM
Registered

Ones that open and close without losing their heads would be a good plan.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Registered

GGGGGGG thanks crazy that helps alot But its a start
Old 12-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

I know someone has some opinions on who makes the better valves..
Old 12-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Travis,
I have always used the Ferra valves that Valako uses. I have only broken them when the lifters stick. Other than that, they have been good!! I would imagine they are available for the SBC.

Good luck..

Dick
Old 12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
bobby daniels

MANLEY MAKES THE BEST INNCONEL EXH. BE SURE AND USE THAT MATERIAL ON THE EXH. SEVERE DUTY ARE O.K. FOR INTAKE ,,I WOULD NOT RUN THIN STEMS ,IF ITS A BLOWN MOTOR THERES A BUNCH MORE YOU SHOULD DO TO PREP THEM .

Old 12-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Howdy dick Kaama told me the same thing, he said a good one peice stainless would be sufficent for what I am doing. I just ran the **** outta the stock GM valves in my vortec heads and they looked great after 98 hrs I looked ferrea up and they do make 2.08/1.6 size valves and are decents prices too.. Well thats all I needed to know bro, i think I'll end up using them..

Thanks dick

Travis

Last edited by traviss; 12-02-2002 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Bobby.

So I should not run necked down valves?

Do they fail alot?

this is only a N/A SBC spinning 5500 rpm.

Travis
Old 12-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Travis,

I think Bobby meant to only run a larger diameter valve for a supercharged application. Stainless steel valves also come in a 2-piece configuration-----I wouldn't recommend buying "2-piece" stainless steel valves. Buy the 1-piece stainless valves. Ferrea's are good----some people don't like them, but they supposedly flow better than a Manely which is more of a "nail head" design vs. the Ferrea which is a little more like a "tulip" design which is supposed to have better flow charactoristics as the fuel charge comes up under the valve. There are some other brands of stainless valves that have even more of the tulip effect, but I was told this is usually not good. The Ferrea is supposed to not have too much of a nail head effect and yet not too much of a tulip effect either. I guess maybe you could call it the "just right" design valve. Anyway, you will hear arguments from both sides about Manely vs. Ferrea or other valves. My heads have the 11/32" stem Ferrea's only because that's what Valako recommends for his reasons as mentioned above, however someone else could come along and counter his reasoning. Anyway, my engines have over 50 hours on them without any valve problems at this point.

Last edited by KAAMA; 12-02-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:16 PM
bobby daniels

THANKS KAMMA YOUR RIGHT IN MY VIEW!!
JUST WITH A N/A MOTOR BE SURE ITS ONE PART AND ONE OF THE TWO BRAND NAMES YOU NOTED AS THEY USE GOOD STAINLESS !
WE DON'T HAVE THE LUXARY OF COASTING DOWN HILLS ECT. TO LET THE POOR VALVES COOL SO ITS IMPORTANT TO USE GOOD STUFF
BUT BLOWERS AS I SAID ARE A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY

Quick Reply: need valves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.