Engaging forward/reverse >

Engaging forward/reverse

Notices

Engaging forward/reverse

Old 08-03-2023, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engaging forward/reverse

Guys i jave a baja outlaw 25 single engine , this is my first boat with independent forward/reverse lever , here is the question , sometimes i can feel the lever wobbling in my hand when going from forward to neutral … i drove some other friend boat but never felt this … its like if i can feel the gear on my lever trying to disengaged , but this only happens when going from reverse or forward to neutral …

thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2023, 05:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

You’re feeling the shift fork cam rubbing on the bump rings on the driven gears ( their purpose is to knock the cone out of the driven gear when shifting out of gear)

the more delicate you shift it, the more you feel it, shift it more abruptly and you don’t notice it.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 629 Likes on 290 Posts

Are you talking levers like this or something entirely different? If like this, yes...you should always shift uh...robustly. I think it even says so on the decal on the shifters...
Old 08-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlawmarc
Guys i jave a baja outlaw 25 single engine , this is my first boat with independent forward/reverse lever , here is the question , sometimes i can feel the lever wobbling in my hand when going from forward to neutral … i drove some other friend boat but never felt this … its like if i can feel the gear on my lever trying to disengaged , but this only happens when going from reverse or forward to neutral …

thanks in advance
Originally Posted by bajaman
Are you talking levers like this or something entirely different? If like this, yes...you should always shift uh...robustly. I think it even says so on the decal on the shifters...
yes this is exactly what i have …
Old 08-04-2023, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

With these old push/pull cables you basically throw it into F/R. not like slam it, but you don't want to baby it either. you want forward? Move it smoothly, quickly, with determination forward. (and vice versa) My understanding is you don't want to baby it/slide it super slow, as that's more likely to damage parts.

It's hard to define in text, would be easier to make a video, or maybe its already on youtube.

you also do NOT shift without the engine running.
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (08-04-2023)