Any challenger or hemi gurus >

Any challenger or hemi gurus

Notices

Any challenger or hemi gurus

Old 09-12-2023, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts
Default Any challenger or hemi gurus

Been reading up on the exhaust mods for my 2016 RT.

It’s all over the place on the challenger board that I’m not a member of nor care to be at the moment so I thought I’d reach out to members here I’ve come to know and trust over the years. I’m not in my teens anymore thank GOD so nothing obnoxious but would like to definitely step up the sound without hurting perf.

The last post I read came from who seemed pretty savvy but not sure I like the idea of cutting just one rear resonator off and drilling an 1/8” hole through the others mid-section. Kinda like huh 🤔 but…

I can post thread. I definitely do not want straight back from converters and would like to original mid mufflers if possible. Looks like a previous owner installed the larger resonators by looking and the size and weld. Car has like 11,000 mi

The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:49 PM
Registered

It’s a 8 speed auto 2 1/4 exhaust however flared the res inlet to 2 1/2. Might be 2 3/4. Tight area and no calipers in my garage but can confirm.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/b4-you-cut-off-your-rear-resonators-consider-this-opt-if-you-fear-the-drone.107954/

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-12-2023 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Love the car hate the sound, yes I'm old
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (09-12-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Drilling a hole in the suitcase muffler?? Your Challenger deserves better than that.

I've owned SRT HEMI cars since they came out in 2005.

I never really messed with the exhaust because there wasn't really a need to - they flow very well from the factory so gains are hard to come by. I wanted more sound from my 2012 300 SRT 6.4 so I had the resonators cutoff - sounded really decent unless the MDS was active. The 6.1L SRT cars did not have the MDS, but the 6.4L was made with it - I got used to it and if you kept the transmission is manual mode, MDS remained disabled.

My Hellcat's factory system needs nothing (not sure why anyone changes them out - no gains and sounds awesome).

Since yours is a RT it'll have the 5.7L (assuming it's not a Scat Pack). The exhaust is a little different - if you want it to sound a little better, find someone's used cat-back from a Scat Pack or SRT and install. See how you like it and go from there. The 2017-up HEMI cars all share the same exhaust so you could go that direction. Yours doesn't have active tailpipes so you'd weld the valves open.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Have a 2016 Shaker Plus 6 Spd, with a factory stage 1 ECM tuned by Arrow Racing- I used Blastin Bobs muffler delete tailpipes, super easy install..... sounds wicked BUT If I did it again I'd put a couple of Magnaflows in to act as resonators like these-(MagnaFlow Performance Muffler 10415) There is a bit of drone at about 1900-2000rpm as is.

Last edited by Sonic30ss; 09-13-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-13-2023, 02:13 PM
Registered

I thought that article was kinda interesting but not sure how people come up with it. And then yes - WHY! 😂

Was also looking at paradox glass-pack style or the jones. I was always an old school muscle car guy who always said I’d never get ANY of the newer style cars but must say I’m loving this car especially for appts out of town etc. Blast to drive! It’s kinda funny while on the express way also when you meet up with somebody with the same intent as you. Taking turns at follow the leader for miles at a time.

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-13-2023 at 02:26 PM.