Thread Sealer for Underwater >

Thread Sealer for Underwater

Notices

Thread Sealer for Underwater

Old 02-03-2024, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thread Sealer for Underwater

I have painted transom assemblies and trim tabs and getting ready to reassemble. When removing the stainless lines from the cylinders, there was some type of sealant in the threads. These are 3/16 tubing inverted flare, which the flare does the sealing for the fluid. My guess is the sealant is to try to protect the threads from salt/fresh-water getting into the threads between stainless and raw aluminum, causing corrosion.

Secondly, there are two studs on the transom housing that are not blind holes. These will also need sealer.

Anyone have a good recommendation?
Old 02-03-2024, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Always used life seal. Holds and isn’t the end of the world to get apart when you need to.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 242 Posts

What is Life Seal?
Old 02-04-2024, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

https://www.boatlife.com/product/lif...oz-tube-clear/
Old 02-04-2024, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Either you guys are not on the same page, or I am lost? Thread sealant. I myself use the Permatex #3
Old 02-04-2024, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I dont see a reason to use anything .. maybe anti seize?
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
Griff (02-04-2024), William Diggens (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
I have painted transom assemblies and trim tabs and getting ready to reassemble. When removing the stainless lines from the cylinders, there was some type of sealant in the threads. These are 3/16 tubing inverted flare, which the flare does the sealing for the fluid. My guess is the sealant is to try to protect the threads from salt/fresh-water getting into the threads between stainless and raw aluminum, causing corrosion.

Secondly, there are two studs on the transom housing that are not blind holes. These will also need sealer.

Anyone have a good recommendation?
Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I dont see a reason to use anything .. maybe anti seize?
Shah, Dan,

Stainless screws should never be installed into anything aluminum without SOME sort of barrier, be it a sealant, teflon tape, anti-seize, whatever. Time and the elements will almost guarantee a virtual fusion between the two, and salt water will definitely make it worse.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Registered

Maybe in theory but not in practice.
This weekend I replaced the trim lines on my transom assembly , stainless into aluminum distribution block. I bet those have been in there for 15+ years and had some salt water usage.Came out fine.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-05-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Maybe in theory but not in practice.
Dan,

Just forwarding established metallurgical knowledge. We all get away with flirt with disaster, so to speak, but the chemistry is proven.

I've had to throw away my fair share of model boat hardware (engine crankcases, for example) over the years where stainless screws had become one with the aluminum hardware they were tightened into, and almost had to HeliCoil the exhaust riser where the screw that holds my shifter bellcrank bracket mounts in our PQ after essentially ripping the threads out during my injector ordeal (probably should have, and definitely will if I ever pull the riser off for some reason). Neal Wallace of PQ Boats told me to not even try to remove the bolster seat frames from our boat (I had reason), as the mounting screws and aluminum inserts that are installed under the floor have almost assuredly permanently fused, and that I'll break more screws than I will remove. I have not taken the risk and dealt with a very inconvenient workaround for what I was trying to do.

Take it for what it is. Proceed as you will. I ain't telling anybody what to do with their boat, but I'll never install a stainless screw into an aluminum part without some sort of barrier. Hell, just a spooge of marine grease in the hole before installing the screw is some pretty cheap insurance that won't hurt a damned thing.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 02-05-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:46 PM
Registered

I`ve taken apart my fair share of stuff and the only thing that ever ****s me is fine thread, stainless on stainless. Stripped lots of bolts till I started sprayiing everything with WD40 before loosening/tightning.
Can`t say I`ve had your experience with anything I`ve disassembled .
Every drive , every transom assembly is stainless hardware /aluminum parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.