ProCharger Intake Mods >

ProCharger Intake Mods

Notices

ProCharger Intake Mods

Old 05-24-2024, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 844 Likes on 390 Posts

As far as intake piping, all you can do is try. You know what it currently runs, rpm and mph wise, if it picks up, its a win, if it loses rpms, you went back wards. I guess before you integrate the new suction pipe, do you ave some kinda scanner where you can look at IAT? My IAT's on my Baja even turned up past the m-3sc max rating slightly were routinely 100-120 degrees and it sucked air off surface of the water cooler stainless marine 3 exhaust manifolds, The bends kill air flow thing, heres my experience on that. I built a 509 with proflow intake, had front mounted TB. My friend norm whos a flow expert constantly tells me keep in mind airs not real happy making turns. On flow bench we modded tb to go from about a 1050 cfm to about 1200 , with a air volute coming in, that flow went up to around 1500. With a 90 on inlet down to the cone foilter we were at 1150/1200 range with, flkow went back down around 1000. These are rough numbers, I dont have the exact data in front of me anymore but gives you a idea. On my dyno with one of these front mounted tb proflows, we were around 650 hp during one test, no entry device, with volute, that number turned into about 670+, with a 90 was 630. With one of them in a boat which due to poor planning on my part, it had to have a tight 90, it was down 200 rpms with it on vs off, left it up to the customer to decide that.

The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
87MirageIntruder (05-24-2024), sutphen 30 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
UnderPSI,

For the record, the final ducting won't be near that long. It would only be just long enough to facilitate the curves. Again.... IF.

So, which is worse? A longer than ideal intake tract or cooling hoses directly in the path of intake flow? Genuine question.

Thanks. Brad.
My opinion, which isn't worth much, leave it alone.

The engine bay on your boat isn't that hot with the water cooled exhaust, especially at speed. Nothing like a car's engine bay.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,374 Likes on 764 Posts

If you are trying to get cool air to the pro charger intake would it not be easier to try and duct some from the outside and dump it by the intake?

You also have a in cooler after on the pressure side, I am with Artic, take some temp readings. Try one with hatched closed and moving then crack it up a few inches.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 05-24-2024 at 08:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
articfriends (05-30-2024), RedBoatFl (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 08:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 834 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
My opinion, which isn't worth much, leave it alone.

The engine bay on your boat isn't that hot with the water cooled exhaust, especially at speed. Nothing like a car's engine bay.
Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
If you are trying to get cool air to the pro charger intake would it not be easier to try and duct some from the outside and dump it by the intake?

You also have a in cooler after on the pressure side, I am with Artic, take some temp readings. Try one with hatched closed and moving then crack it up a few inches.
Under, Wildman,

At this point, I'm pretty well resolved to just extend the intake snout by just enough to snake the cooling hoses behind the breather and get them out of the airflow approaching the breather. This will also give me a space to include a bung for the oil fill tube vent.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Under, Wildman,

At this point, I'm pretty well resolved to just extend the intake snout by just enough to snake the cooling hoses behind the breather and get them out of the airflow approaching the breather. This will also give me a space to include a bung for the oil fill tube vent.

Thanks. Brad.
Guys,

So, just to be clear.... Extending the intake snout of the ProCharger by, say, 1-1/2", and keeping it straight, won't affect performance, correct? This should be sufficient clearance to reroute the cooling hoses behind the breather (between the breather and the ProCharger body, and between the intake snout and the engine mount stringer).

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Guys,

So, just to be clear.... Extending the intake snout of the ProCharger by, say, 1-1/2", and keeping it straight, won't affect performance, correct? This should be sufficient clearance to reroute the cooling hoses behind the breather (between the breather and the ProCharger body, and between the intake snout and the engine mount stringer).

Thanks. Brad.
To confirm, you're talking the pressured intake feed from the pro-charger to the throttle body on the intake? Extending it 1.5" with no extra bends?

You won't even notice it.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Tartilla
To confirm, you're talking the pressured intake feed from the pro-charger to the throttle body on the intake? Extending it 1.5" with no extra bends?

You won't even notice it.
Tartilla,

No. I'm talking about the intake side of the ProCharger; the vacuum side. There is currently a flame arrestor/breather attached directly to the intake side of the ProCharger, and I want to add a straight extension of about 1-1/2" to give room to route the cooling hose between the breather and the ProCharger body.

Those that have replied have convinced me to not add an extended intake tract with bends. That's all good, as that's why I'm asking these questions. But I still want to eliminate the condition of the intake air having to make its way around the cooling hoses on its way into the breather, heading into the ProCharger. There isn't currently enough room to route this cooling hose behind the breather, so a short extension is needed.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 05-30-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:00 PM
Registered

Never mind,,,,,

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 05-30-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Don't know why I just thought but would it be easier to get longer cooling hoses and route?
Wildman,

Maybe. It's pretty snug down there. It would be some pretty extensive cooling hose rerouting; way more than elongating the intake snout of the ProCharger and running them behind the breather. I don't hate the idea of not pushing the intake breather even closer to the exhaust manifold and any other hardware that can't be moved, like the oil cooler, though. I'm shopping for ideas, that's for sure. But I'm pretty dead set on getting the cooling hoses out of the incoming airflow, by hook or by crook.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:45 PM
Registered

If its a winter project you could always just pull the motor, not a big deal.

Wildman,

Maybe. It's pretty snug down there. It would be some pretty extensive cooling hose rerouting; way more than elongating the intake snout of the ProCharger and running them behind the breather. I don't hate the idea of not pushing the intake breather even closer to the exhaust manifold and any other hardware that can't be moved, like the oil cooler, though. I'm shopping for ideas, that's for sure. But I'm pretty dead set on getting the cooling hoses out of the incoming airflow, by hook or by crook.

Thanks. Brad.