Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What connecting rods are you custom motor guys using? >

What connecting rods are you custom motor guys using?

Notices

What connecting rods are you custom motor guys using?

Old 12-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing I noticed about the Lunati Pro Mod rod is the lengths it is available. 6.135" to 6.700", all rated at 750 HP. 6.7" rods are for serious strokers and many of them are making 750 HP with a couple of plug wires not attached!!! How much safety factor are they putting into these designs?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

My 540's have SRP JE pistons and the Eagle "H" beam 4340 rods in them. They make about 683hp @5500rpm and 694 foot pounds of torque @4500rpm. I have the Eagle 4340 cranks as well. I had an issue with one of the cranks thus far last year. I have since replaced one of the Eagle cranks with a fully counter weighted 4340 Lunati crank. When I was having it balanced the shop doing the balance work told me that the grade of the steel is much harder in the Lunati's than the Eagle's even though they both have the 4340 Forgings. I would use the Eagle rods again, but I think I will stay clear of their crankshafts. I plan on replacing the Eagle crank with another Lunati in my other engine.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KAAMA, did you go with the Pro or Racer series Lunati crank? I am considering a SRP or JE piston, Lunati crank, and Lunati Pro Mod rod rotating assembly. I will also be looking at the Big M and Merlin 3 blocks. My Eagle crank will remain in my 496 until I pull the motor to sell the boat. Then the 496 will likely get detuned and installed in a Corvette or some other muscle car. I am not sure what I am going to build but I am swaying towards another high compression naturally aspirated motor 540 plus inches. Ideally this motor will go in a small cat hull like a 22 Cougar or a 23 WPM. It will be a few years before that happens, but there is no harm in getting another motor on the stand.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running Oliver for 7 yrs with 1000 plus hp.
Crower also builds a good rod.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Registered

We used Manley's 4340 Pro Series "I" Beam rods.
But if cost is no object, Oliver is the best IMHO.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Oliver. The fellow whose family started the company, Bruce Baldwin is a stand up guy and backs his stuff, no questions asked. I believe they are based out of Grand Rapids, MI. I ran their 6.136 parabollic I beam rods in a 470 inch BBC in a 7 Litre hydro. 738 HP at 7600 RPM. 5 mile heats required WOT for up to 3 minutes.

I learned about Oliver products when Chevrolet sponsored my engine program from 87 to 90. J-146 STEELER. Both Peter Guild at Pro Motor in Mooresville NC and Bill Howell from Chevrolet Engineering Raceshop recommended and used Oliver rods in all of our Hydro engines.

Carillo made some good stuff for us as well but they were pretty arrogant when it came to a problem. They always blamed some other part of the rotating assembly for the failure. Bruce Baldwin on the other hand just asked what did we needed, and delivered.

Sometimes it's risky recommending a product. I don't hesitate a second recommending Oliver.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Steve, there is an "Oliver Products" in Grand Rapids, MI at 445 Sixth St.-----is this the Oliver you're refering too? They're a family owned business and have been in business since something like the late 1800's to early 1900's or something. Anyway, they make several different products there like ovens, special pharmacuitcal packaging materials and papers, machinery, cutting blades and just all kinds of sheet metal stuff. So I'm not sure if it is the Oliver you're speaking of, but if it is I'm sitting in a good spot because my company handles the pest management program within the plant. Just wanted to know if you knew for sure----thanks.

Mark/KAAMA

Last edited by KAAMA; 12-10-2002 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Brad Perry

Wette,

I am running the same crap KAAMA originated with...at the suggestion of Dean. When my builder/machinist was looking over the job, he did say they had seen some issues with the crank journals of the eagles lately. Said he would look it over carefully to make sure it was okay. Haven't had any issues, but never spin it over 6000 rpm. Maybe others can referee this, but I think the forces caused by rpm much outweigh combustion pressure forces on the rods past a certain point, and run away quickly at the square of the rpm...Just a question of $$$$$$$$$!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

we just finished putting together a bbc w/ manley pro alluminums I think they will work out nicely.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Kaama,

Yessir, that's them. Look up Bruce Baldwin next visit. He'll tell you the story of how he got into High Performance stuff and some of his other inventions. He's just a real down to earth nice guy.

His facility reminded me of the plant in Live Oak Florida that makes BRC pistons. Years ago I had a rush order and they said if I came to their plant they'd hand them to me the same day. Live Oak is in Northern Florida about 50 miles south of Georgia and just between nowhere and somewhere,,,,,,

Well the "plant" was an old barn/shed with no windows, just large barn door openings. They've since moved into nicer digs.
Nonetheless, they had state of the Art machinery, were extremely competent and made an excellent product. Sometimes I think our HP parts are like sausage, the less we know about their origin, the better they are

Take care

Steve

Quick Reply: What connecting rods are you custom motor guys using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.