Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer bunk replacement question. >

Trailer bunk replacement question.

Notices

Trailer bunk replacement question.

Old 12-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer bunk replacement question.

I plan on replacing my trailer bunks first thing next spring. Before I put the boat in storage I measured the bunks and plan on having the new ones made so it will be an easy change out. The current bunks are 2"x4" and 2"x6" carpeted boards. My question is what kind of boards are these? Are they just standard or treated boards or is there a special marine grade board? I plan on getting the materials soon and want to get the right stuff. Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Use pressure treated doug fir if its available in your area. If not any pressure treated will work. Dont forget stainless staples and hardware, and marine carpet. If you need to cut them be sure to re treat the cut ends. Not as good but better then nothing.

Dan
Old 12-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

DanB has the right idea. Use pressure treated and SS hardware, including the staples.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default trailer bunks

I used pressure treated doug fur for mine.
I bought the wood and let it dry out for about a month inside then painted it with rustoleum to help seal the wood.
Instead of carpet I used "TIE DOWNS" bunk glide-ons.
There a slippery type molded plastic cover that is made for different size bunks. I never liked the idea of the hull sitting on wet carpet all the time. Just a thought. They worked very well for me.
There availible from "overtons" or even cheaper check out www.outdoorsuperstore.com I just looked now and they have them on sale for 2x4 or 2x6 bunks. Search under "self center boat glide ons. These things do every thing they say. They also centered my boat perfectly every time.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

My trailer bunks need replacing too. Being that the Mantex factory is here in Michigan (Lansing), I am going to see if it will work as trailer bunk material as well. I guess it is supposed to work well with staples, nails, screws, adhesives, etc.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Ric232

You can even take it a step further with the staples and use MONEL staples, which are absolutely RUST-PROOF.

I actually used cedar on my 8' outer bunks last year. The only problem is that it does not hold screws as well as the more dense woods, so don't drill the holes any larger than you have to and fill them with liquid nails before putting the screws in. I think the cedar dries out quicker than other woods. This year, I'll be replacing my 12' inner bunks with pressure-treated wood because it is too hard to find a reasonably straight piece of cedar in a 12' length. Getting straight cedar is critical becuse a 2x6 piece of cedar actually measures 2" x 6", so it's really stiff and hard to bend into place.

I'm sure someone will tell me all kinds of reasons why I should not have used cedar, but I thought I'd try it, and it's working great so far.

Old 12-29-2002, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Has anyone ever tried the synthetic wood used for decks and floating docks? I would imagine you wood (no pun intended puder) never have to replace them as often. Better yet if you can find starboard which is very costly that would last forever.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

synthetic wood has very little flexural strength. Needs additional support in flooring applications to avoid sponginess when you walk on it. I'd think that real wood would be a much better choice.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

mcollinstn, When you say "synthetic" are you also including composite materials like Mantex that needs additional support as well? Thanks
Old 12-30-2002, 04:00 AM
Registered

Cypress

Last edited by Chart; 12-30-2002 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer bunk replacement question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.