Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ??? >

Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ???

Notices

Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ???

Old 01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ???

I would like to know the pros and cons or each axle type (Torsion vs. Leaf). Mostly fresh water use and occasional salt water. 9,000-10,000 lb load. Triple axle application.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torsion by far is the best ride for you and your boat

wish i would have spent the money on it
Towed a 34' with torsions wiht a 1/2 burban now this was only 250 miles but it ran great
next time especially if you tow alot.
I have put about 30,000 miles on the trailer hindsight wish I knew then what I know now.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Registered

How about reliability? I live in Arizona, Would the high heat have an effect on the rubber in the torsion axles?
Old 01-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ???

Originally posted by ToddW
I would like to know the pros and cons or each axle type (Torsion vs. Leaf). Mostly fresh water use and occasional salt water. 9,000-10,000 lb load. Triple axle application.

Thanks,
Todd
The torsion won't distribute weight like the leaf springs.On torsion you can end up with most of the weight on one axel.Not for me.But the leafs can rust and break.They are still my choice.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Dixie Doug, that's a good point.

Anyone else. How about tight manuevering?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Registered

I have 3x5200 lb dexter axles with the torsion rubber. They are fine in the heat. I am a little carefull on tight turns using the forklift, because you can see the wheels flexing, but never any trouble behind the truck. I have had them for about 6 years and had put them in the ramp about six times. In fact I still have a new triple set for a alum trailer I want to build.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

I have owned many trailers with springs, always spraying them with WD-40 and other lubs and still cant get them to last. They will break when they rust together between the leafs. I bough a South Florida Trailer triaxle with torsion bars. its by far the best trailer Ive ever owned. No sway at all, good solid ride,and even wieght distribution to all the tires. When backing down a steep ramp one axle will load up heavier than the rest. jay at SFT will answer any questions honestly... try calling him. Good Luck, Mark B.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

from what I have seen a multi axle leeaf trailer wont move missing a wheel where a torsion axle trailer will
Old 01-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Torsion also allows you to get the trailer frame lower to the griound without weak drop axles.

As far as distributing weight, as long as your trailer is level when hitched to your vehicle, the weights are shared well enough 99% of the time. I guess I might thnk twice about dragging a fully loaded triple axle torsion setup over a field full of railroad ties, but I'd flinch about doing that with leafs as well.

Leafs are more susceptible to corrosion.
Leafs will allow more lateral (side to side) movement than torsions.

Nothing wrong with leafs, I have them on all of my trailers cept one. When it comes to my triple axle trailer - I wanted the best ride, least sway, most corrosion resistance, lowest frame height, and cleanest installation. I went torsion. Glad I did.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Registered

Torsion only for me... Never had a single problem with them!!! My last two trailers were torsion, next will be torsion..... disc brakes also on those trailers.... would never go back to drums... and the extra for a stainless Ubolt package is well worth the money..... Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs- ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.