1989 24' Banana Boat >

1989 24' Banana Boat

Notices

1989 24' Banana Boat

Old 01-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing looks like it boogies.

I like your throttle and shifter. I have the old quicksliver set up.

Is there a place to get good used stuff. Like controls, trim tabs and other parts?

Thanks for the advice on the 10" set back.

I noticed the nose cone package had two choices, either one or two hoses. Which one do you have? Which one is better?.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Registered

Air Dog,

Forget the Bob's, Mercury makes a cescent gearcase out of aluminum. Buy the casing and have your guts put in. The Bob's stuff is bonded on and never seems to stay on. Alway's peeling off and not as hydrodynamic as a merc casing without those hoses hanging out the sides.
That will get you better water to the prop, However if you dont jack it up your not taking advantage of the nose and low water pick up. And yes with these mods you would improve your prop as well, that is where you will find the speed. You will be taking advantage of the extra rpm gained by the nose and its height.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Registered

Bosco,

I like your idea better.

Any idea where to find a hollowed out lower unit like your talking about?

Air dog
Old 01-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Comeon Air,sell me that 200,just kidding,but if u ever decide to----- call me,hey they sell a low water pickup-nosecone that bolts on l looks pretty good,made out of plastic or some other tuff stuff if your intrested let me know here and ill hook u up tripps

ps looks good white,if you want to see a pic of mine,go to the photo section,look for bloopers,then the red boat with the dog on the beach
Old 01-10-2003, 08:16 AM
riskybusiness

Thumbs up

Dog: I helped build that boat. How'd I do? (Could be a dangerous question, I guess )

But seriously, having worked at Banana Boat Ltd for several years, I had become a major fan of them----certainly a fantastic rough-water 24 footer.

The above suggestions are all good, as there are some ways to tweak it for a few more MPH, depending on your budget.

The reality of it is, though, that the Banana has, if I'm not mistaken about Bajas, a subtantially deeper V than the Bajas do, which, HP for HP will always make it a much better boat in the rough, and a bit slower on smooth water, as the Baja will be able to get more air under it in the smooth stuff.

You throw a 300 on there, or another used 200, and you'll be flyin'.

Until then, just race him in the rough, and you'll kick his ass every time.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Registered

Air Dog check screamandfly.com fo lower unit housing several for sale. I would use as much set back as I could get. I did a project like yours years ago. Setback surfacing gearcase chopper prop lots of adjustment. I think I picked up 5-8mph.
Good luck
Old 01-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Registered

Smile

mmwalters - Thanks for the tip on screamandfly. I called a few
of the listings. Hopefully a used one will hold
together.

Tripps - That red Banana looks fast. Did the back seat come that
way or did you do some reconstructive surgery to the
back deck? My back seat is really close to the two front
bolsters. Not much room for spilling margaritas.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Registered

RiskyBiz - Thanks for building my boat. I especially like how the deck is glassed to the hull on the inside. I went down to Pantera boats in Miami and the owner was raving about how he glasses them together. Is was nice to see that my 12 year old rig was built as tuff.

Do you know how to strengthen the transom for the outboard version Banana with knees?

I think I am leening towards bolting on another 200 Merc.

Sorry tripps.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Air Dog: I have a buddy that has a used jack plate that is like new. It is a Land and Sea unit. Let me know if you are interested and I will go over and talk to him for ya. (978) 985-0639

Jon
Old 01-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

mmwalters,
Can you expand a little on the "surfacing gearcase?" Is that the same as the crescent mentioned above? I assume one would have to run a small hub / surface piercing prop? (cleaver) 3 or 4 blade?

Quick Reply: 1989 24' Banana Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.