Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
stern drive help >

stern drive help

Notices

stern drive help

Old 01-18-2003, 11:57 AM
duker

Default stern drive help

Running 99 27' checkmate currently has 525 sc with a bravo 1. Dropping new motor in that dyno around 900 hp which stern drives will hold thanks

Old 01-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be looking at the B-Max.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WooooW, duker, you are going to get alot of differing answers on this one. Welcome to the board!!!!!!
This is definitely the place to find out the information you are looking for.
I am running a XR upper with an Imco lower and so far no breakage, but you are running alot more power than I am. There are a number of drives out there that people use with that much power, but drive failure is iminent if you don't treat it right, and maintain it properly. Here are some Bravo-XR, Imco, B-max, Pulse drives. There was a couple of treads in the last month about the pulse drives that are very interesting. Just click on Forums/Boards on the top and click search. Then type in pulse or anything you want to search for, and you have hours of fine reading. Maybe the Bravo Shop, BAM Marine, or sterndrivespec will see this and make some suggestions.
Welcome to the board.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:16 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I think that you should be looking into either a surface drive ( Pulse or Arneson ) or a #6. 900 h.p. is alot of power for a Bravo or even a B-Max. I am sure that the B-Max would hold up for a while, but it would depend on how you treat it. Also, I don't know how you would get a drive on that boat that required a transmission without MAJOR modifications. Good Luck and be safe....
Old 01-18-2003, 05:02 PM
rpm

We've installed B-Max's on boats as long as 40' with up to T-1000 HP engines and the drives have well over 100 hours so far with no broken parts. A good drive man will be able to go through them and set them up to avoid the annoyances. I would not simply bolt it on.

Rod

Old 01-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Registered

That holds true for all drives. The guys that put them together are not always as meticulous as they could be and everything survives better if blueprinted.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

In the General Discussion section is a thread called "B-Max will be at Chicago and Cleveland" or something really close to that. Contact Wild Thing Taz, (Ron) and he can answer all your questions about the B-max. I talked to him for a while at the Chicago show. Informative gentleman he is.

I'll see if I can post a link.

Try this link:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=39424

Last edited by Waterfoul; 01-18-2003 at 06:14 PM.