Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Internal Balancing? >

Internal Balancing?

Notices

Internal Balancing?

Old 01-21-2003, 03:02 PM
bobby daniels

Hey what happened to TRAVIS POST
IT LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS WERE TALKING TO EACH OTHER .
GUESS HE DELETED THEM

ANYWAY HENDRICK AND MOST KILLER ENGINE SHOPS DO MEASURE THE AIR AND ALLOW FOR DEPOSITS ,

JUST WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW HOW TO PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENT,IN THE PROPER WAY TO BALANCE

TRAVIS NO BODY IS SLAMMING YOU JUST TRYING TO HELP !!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you need it or not I'm having my motor done and some people say yea some say no
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Beep38cigarette
So do you need it or not I'm having my motor done and some people say yea some say no
Beep,

I depends It can never hurt but, all of the factory 454's and 502's are external balance and will live a long time that way. If you are stepping up performance and rpm range quite a bit, then it is probably a good idea. If you are just reworking a stock engine with minor performance upgrades, I would probably say not to waste your money.

Like I said, there are a lot of variables that come into play.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Like said before when you have something balanced, regardless if the motor is internally or externally balanced, everything in the rotating assembly goes to the "Balancer" down to the rings and bearings. Also when I get my stuff back from the House of Balance it's all stamped for assembly. The bill is always under $200 and compared to what a simple aluminum intake would cost you it's almost a no-brainer for me. Just think of it as an insurance policy that all your aftermarket pieces will work together better than the stuff from the factory. You also will get rid of any harmonic vibrations that seem to pop up if you stay at a certain throttle levels for long periods of time.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well had stock 500hp now I'm going to a 555 that has about 650 hp and I though I could keep it the same way as stock but I don't want to do the wrong thing
Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Beep,
Most 555 crankshafts are designed to be internal balance so I dont think you will have much choice.

By the way, your engine builder really should be the one answering these questions for you

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

He acts like I don't really need it. he said he would rether spend the money in the heads.but other people say it needs to be done
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Registered

Beep,

Is this a completely new engine, or freshening up an existing 555 ?

If new, does he already have the crankshaft ? If so, it sounds like he purchased one that is made for external balance. Are you ok with spending the extra money to do an internal balance deal ? It would mean a different harmonic damper, a different flywheel, and possibly a different crankshaft depending on exactly what you have now. If its an external balance crank that you already have, and you want to internal balance it, I would figure on a bunch of heavy metal and probably spending almost as much as a new crank. Also $300 or so for a damper and $200 for a flywheel ? So the total deal to switch to internal balance could easily end up well over $1000.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hey thanks alot I called today and ask dean and he said we are going internal balancing.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillK
Beep,

Is this a completely new engine, or freshening up an existing 555 ?

If new, does he already have the crankshaft ? If so, it sounds like he purchased one that is made for external balance. Are you ok with spending the extra money to do an internal balance deal ? It would mean a different harmonic damper, a different flywheel, and possibly a different crankshaft depending on exactly what you have now. If its an external balance crank that you already have, and you want to internal balance it, I would figure on a bunch of heavy metal and probably spending almost as much as a new crank. Also $300 or so for a damper and $200 for a flywheel ? So the total deal to switch to internal balance could easily end up well over $1000.
Bill, Just had both of my ZZ502 stock cranks (external) internally balanced. Without the ATI balancer and flywheels, I spent about $1500.00 Mallory is not cheap.