WindShield Help >

WindShield Help

Notices

WindShield Help

Old 01-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WindShield Help

I bought my boat used and the guy before me busted the windshield. He didn't give me the old one so I don't have it for a template. Every place I talk to wants a template to make one. I don't want the big one that came on mine. I want just a little one made of plastic and painted white to match my boat. I want it to be about 12 or so inches in the front and less on the sides. Does anyone have any advice on where to get one made or how to go about making a template. And if anyone had made there own windshield out of plastic or lexon. This is for a 91 Baja 270.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Get yourself some sheets of posterboard from Walmart. Also get a roll of that 2" wide clear package tape.

Start scissoring and make you a template for ONE side of the windshield. When youve got it right, mark the centerline. Copy it onto another piece and cut it out too. Tape them together exactly as they will need to fit the boat. Tape them TO the boat. Trim around the topside profile to get it like you want it. Tape extra pieces around the bottom profile if you need to to cover up gaps and stuff. While it is on the boat, make corner profile templates and mark the main template so they can locate them properly when bending the plastic.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Low Rider

I had to replace the windshield in my '87 performance boat. After getting the same run around you are getting about templates and preformed plastic I was told to get a piece of lexan tape the areas I would need to cut with masking tape and layout my pattern. leave the tape on and have someone cut it for me. I found the best place for this was one of the local glass shops. They had the right saw blades and the right drill bits to cut and drill lexan. The old windshield had a 2" wide weatherstriping between the windshield and the boat to help seal the windshield down and hide any dirt that would get under it, I copied this idea. The windshield was secured down with over 40 ss screws and the holes in the windshield was drilled with oversize holes. The holes had rubber gromets inserted and the screws went through the center of the gromets. I assumed this was done so when the boat flexed the windshield would have some room to move and not crack. Of course I could not find the gromets so I used vaccum tubing instead of the gromets and cut it to fit my needs, seems to work fine. You should use washers that are cupped to fit inside of the windshield holes and run the mounting screws through the washers so when you tighten down your windshield you will not put any pressure on the windshield holes. You should be able to find them at any boating supply store. If you go with lexan I suggest you cut the plastic in such a way that the factory bead is on the top side because it is not as sharp as the side you will have to cut. I found the lexan to be extremely flexable to work with, although I had a nice radius to work with my windshield ended up with a 90 degree turn and the lexan did not have any problem with the bend. Sorry I did not take any pictures of this project but if you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me.

John

Old 01-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give these guys a call wayne earl 714 577 0632
they made all the glass for my leavey craft they will ship anyware www.wayneearl.com they have patterns for alot of boats