Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gaffrig gauge update question? >

Gaffrig gauge update question?

Notices

Gaffrig gauge update question?

Old 01-26-2003, 03:34 PM
RonA

Default Gaffrig gauge update question?

I have a Formula 242 SS and it has the VDO black guages (MPH,Rpm,water,oil,temp,etc.). I would like to update to Gaffrig s white guages. I will make a new dash panel and powder coat or ?. But my question is are the Gaffrig gauges a direct wire swap ? Any pointers ? Do the sending units need replacing? Any help would be great . Thank you Ron

Old 01-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the gauges could be done as a direct swap, but if you want max accuracy you should use the senders that are made for them. Senders should be replaced when old for accuracy anyway. By old I mean around 7 to 10 years.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine last winter , You will have to make the holes larger. I added about 4 extra gauges as well. once you look at the back of the gauge panel for a bit you figure it out. every gauge has a power , a ground , light and sender wire. The power , ground and light wires just jump from gauge to gauge in a loop. it is very easy , just take your time.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 PM
RonA

Alright this is alot of help I'm excited about this dash project and will post pictures when I'm finished .I have seen Phantom Chaos dash. Are there other pictures you might have? Thank you , Ron

Old 01-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

YOu do need to use Gaffrig sending units as the VDO will most likely clash. Its a toss up and you can first wire it up and see how they react to the gauges but more then likely they will need to be swaped. If the VDO gauges you are replaceing are the flush mounted ones then you can do what i did on one project and use a dremel to grind the holes out bigger....dont take that much to do. good luck and post pics

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!