Folding Pole Hinge??

Notices

Folding Pole Hinge??

Old 02-02-2003, 08:03 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Folding Pole Hinge??

Ok guys and gals. I have been trying to find who makes hinges for poles. Like the poles used for our bimini tops.
I want to install them in My bimini top so I can fold the legs and have them better fit my engine compartment. It fits now, but it's a real pain in the butt!!
I know they make them, I just can't find them. So far I found a folding anchor light by Atwood, but it's a plastic hinge. I really wanted more of a stronger metal type, but will use anything I can find. Something like they use for patio umbrellas might work, but smaller so they can fit in the poles. Here is a picture of the folding anchor light so you understand what I mean. Thanks

Old 02-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kanookstr,

I don't know about a hinge, but my poles are two pieces with one sliding in the other. The bows are connected to the top and the bottom pieces are 2' - 3' long and I store them in a bag that my canvas guy made for my aft and side glass. I have attached a picture of a friend's boat with the same type tops. I circled where the poles come apart at the black line.
Attached Thumbnails Folding Pole Hinge??-davids-campertop-1-1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah, pole-in-a-pole is much stronger and easier to boot. Go to your local canvas shop and have him cut you some pieces that will fit inside your existing ones. You'll need new end pieces to fit the smaller tubing. Spring clip/thumb button for each side also.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:23 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Ohh!! you got a good Idea there rbtnt! Thats a much better idea. My back support pole is something like that. It's a tlescoping kind. Do you know where they sell those? I would like the type with the spring button
Old 02-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I sent you a pm. I don't know where to get the buttons except at a canvas shop and they should have the smaller tubing. Formula and BAJA use the buttons and I have seen them on beach umbrellas.