Low water pick-up? >

Low water pick-up?

Notices

Low water pick-up?

Old 02-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low water pick-up?

From previous posts I have read there does not seem to be any positives to the low water pick-ups on the XR drives. Other members have said that they will pick up additional sand or mud in low water conditions. Is there anything that can be done to plug the holes? Why did Merc make the double intakes on XR?
Old 02-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I was told when I had to replace my drive with the newer dual pickup, it is because the dual will work with all applications. Versus Merc stocking 2 different designs for different boats. A cost effective thingy.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Blackhawkdn

The low water pick up was designed to handle the higher x dimensions on the cats and so forth. You can not plug these up. You can put a water pick up on your boat and block of the water from your outdrive. Not uncommon

Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 PM
red racer

Confused...

In the trailering position, the low water p/u will be higher, therefore out of the sand and mud????? Wouldn't this help the problem, not hurt it????

I am just starting to deal with this situation - needed to replace the whole set-up due to a shallow sand bar.... Ouch!!! :crazy:

Old 02-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Registered

I believe now Mercury only offers the drive housings in dual pick-up config. I was trying to get a set with only mid pickups and was told they are no longer available.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:40 PM
red racer

Thanks for the advice....

sand and dirt does suck - pun intended...

Let's see leave the drive up and swallow sand into the engine or put it down and ruin your outdrive steering from the wave movement...

Old 02-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Brad Perry

Sooo, will the dual pickup work in high x dimensions? I can't imagine the use of the lower set if the drive would just suck air through the higher set...what's the point?

Old 02-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Registered

it's not sucking air! the lower PU is providing so much pressure that the upper is releaving some of it in some applications.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Brad Perry

Audacity, I figured it must work similar, or what would be the point. Would you advise using a 2-3" higher x with DWP? I guess that's a stupid question, I would just need to check water pressure.....Just wondering if this was well engineered for this purpose.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

I,m glad I asked this question. I had no idea the problem is as bad as it seems from everyone's posts. I will be much more carefull when beaching in the future.

Quick Reply: Low water pick-up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.