Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Amsoil, RoyalPurple or Redline????? >

Amsoil, RoyalPurple or Redline?????

Notices

Amsoil, RoyalPurple or Redline?????

Old 02-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Amsoil, RoyalPurple or Redline?????

Don’t want to open a can of worms but I’m trying to choose the right oil for my application.
The application is a blown 540.
I have spoke directly with the tech department at Amsoil and Royal Purple, and the rep from Redline and here is what they say.
· Amsoil…they say to use the HD Diesel / Marine 15-40 (even for blown). They think that marine motors needs the anti-rust and corrosion additives that are in this blend. Say it will hold up fine.
· Royal Purple suggests Racing 41 or 51 with no detergents. (I used this last year and had a substantial amount of rust on my rockers but everything else looked great) They feel the need for the extra bearing loads for blown applications outweigh corrosion issues.
· Redline states not to use their Racing oil but to use only the synthetic oil 10-40. They feel you need the corrosion protection and that their standard oil will provide adequate protection.

Maybe good ole Pennzoil or Valvoline’s not looking too bad

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 PM
bobby daniels

Do a search and we did a 3 page thread on oils not long ago !!
I would go with AMSOIL in the motor and redline in the drive use redline med. shock proof gear oil !! Or amsoil is fine in the drive just not as good as redline !!!!!!

Old 02-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Talking

Thanks Bobby,
I do use Redline HD Shock proof in my out drive (suggested by Robert at Power Marine, is that you?) and really like it.

I did read that lengthy thread and although it addressed just about everything under the sun, it really didn't address the "type" of oil.

My oil question is more directed at what type and not so much brand. I'm thinking they are all superior oil however I'm a bit confused as to what type.
RP is the only one that recommended the race oil while the other two (Amsoil and RL) seemed more concerned with corrosion protection at the expense of some quality.

I just thought that Amsoil would suggest their Racing or HP oil for a blown application and not the marine/deisel. Guess it just kinda threw me a bit.

It takes 14 quarts to change so I'd like to make sure that I choose the right one.

Thansk Again,
Dave
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Amsoil 10W-30 in a 632" NA, 900HP motor. Never seen any "rust" or deposits. Oil temps stay very low, I actually am going to add an oil T-stat to get MORE temp. With todays oil technology you don't need to run the heavy stuff. (15-50 etc) Royal purple is good stuff, but seems to mainly be used by the drag racing community...and they use (multiple) "0" weight. It pours like Kool-Aid.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

jdnca1,
which grade Amsoil do you use? Race, HiPerf or Marine/Deisel?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-12-2003, 12:07 PM
bobby daniels

Dave ,robert is Blown 1500---
Yes I understand your question but the marine grade will hold up just fine or at least its proven itself in my blower motors ,the race runs same temp and pressure at speed so I would use marine and it will be fine !!! I use marine even in my cars trucks,and generators ,,,it really works

Bobby

Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nordic,
I run Amsoil 10W-40 high performance in my 498" and it seems to work very well. I got your e-mail and will be getting back to you.
Craig