ignition timing?? >

ignition timing??

Notices

ignition timing??

Old 02-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition timing??

To roughly time my ignition can I install the distibutor w the rotor pointing to, (or slightly before) the number of the cylinder that is @ TDC on the compression stroke?

Is this an acceptible way of doing it or is there a better way?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Registered

take it to tdc #1 and check rockers on #1 they should be loose, drop it in, rebmber the dist will turn as it goes in cause of the helical gear, also make sure you are not 180 degree's out.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

180 degrees out?????
Old 02-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Registered

the crank turns twice for every one time the cam turns so just because the crank mark is at tdc the cam could be 180 degrees off so you need to turn the crank 360 degrees until at tdc again, by checking the rockers on the #1 cyl. for play you can usually tell if you are on the right cam position. unless you just rebuilt the motor and haven't set your rockers yet. if thats the case yuo should do that first.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered

Yeah I am in the process of adjusting the #1 rockers right now
#1 cyl is @ TDC of compression stroke, both valves closed. Is this sounding right? Sorry but this is the first time that I have done this.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Registered

If they are both closed, couldnt that be a few degrees before TDC? I thought the spark went off a little bit before (8-12deg?) TDC? Is any of that correct, or do I need to go back to reading?

Tommy
Old 02-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

hyper your thinking about spark timing not valve timing. The spark timing adjustment is made by turning the distributor once in. even if you drop the dist. in a tooth off you can get enough turn out of it to get it running but you'll know your off cause it'll be turned all the way. The teeth aren't that fine, if the crank is on tdc and the dist is in a tooth off you will see that the rotor doesn't piont right at #1 on the cap. it also makes it alot easier to mark the dist. when you take it out.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Kent Perroux

I put a finger in the #1 sparkplug hole, then turn the engine over until the compression pushes my pinkie out, now I know I not 180 out for the crank. I then line up the timing mark on the crank to exactly where the timing should be for idle. Now you know the crank is right where the ignition should spark #1 plug.

Next, line up the rotor to where the #1 plug wire attaches to the distibutor cap. Then mark on the distributer shaft there the oil pump slot is located in that position. Rotate the rotor counterclockwise one gear spline. Hold the Distributer over the hole it slides into through the intake and mark on the intake hole there the oil slot marks line up on the distributer. Now line up the oil pump shaft to the marks you just made on the intake manifuld with a long screwdriver.

You should now be able to slide the distributer in (may have to jiggle a little). Now get the wife/girfriend to bring another beer.

Make sure your crankshaft is lined up to your preferred idle timing mark, hook up all your plug wires and turn on the ignition.
With a timing light in your hand and the ignition on, you can turn the distributer until you see a spark (make sure the timing light is on the #1 plug). You might go back and forth with the distributer a few times to make sure you are close. When comfortable with the distributer setting, tighten it.

You should be able to start it right up.

Once running check your timing again while running.

I do this everytime. It is amazing how close you can get it and it is a really good feeling when people are watching and it starts right up.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thats it. especially the beer part. Works every time, real close.