Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Imco vs Stainless marine >

Imco vs Stainless marine

Notices

Imco vs Stainless marine

Old 03-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose Stainless because after reading Dennis Moore's book I found that the SM stuff fit just about everything he recommended. Also you can deal directly with them to order. I had a somewhat unusual fit and they worked with me great. Quality product,Great service and very good price.....I don't belive I have read a bad post about SM's but have read a few about IMCO's......Search for yourself......

Bad-Habit
Old 03-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brownie, Nice plug for your company. FYI I'm running a more aggressive CAM than you recommended on a captain's call system, No reversion! Also you need to strengthen the oil filter brackets with more welding.

I did a lot of researching on GIL's, CMI, SM, Lightening IMCO. They can all talk anyway they want but unless you buy the expensive TRUE headers there is no discernable difference. Ask a non biased Dyno operator.

I absolutely love the truck style ring clamp. Super easy to remove to check for water leaks and reversion and to tighten hard to get valve covers. Great for quick removal of an engine.

The reason I rebuilt my engines in the first place was a leak in the manifold/riser fit area in my old exhaust system.

Add 5 year warranty once of the lowest costs (I bought through CP) and great service...a winning combo.

Last edited by bajalion; 03-05-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

Default Stainless Marine or not

I have used Stainless Marine manifolds and stainless risers for over ten years. Any manifold/riser that carries water through the manifold/riser joint is jeopardizing your engine. Stainless Marine makes extremely high quality pieces. I do believe that tubes will make a little more power, but, they will not last as long. The heavy inside wall dimension on Stainless Marine insures that you will not lose a motor from water leak.

I believe there are many quality manufacturers of marine exhaust. I've just never had any reason to change mine. Even after ten years.

Brownie is great to work with also.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Registered

Default Stainless Marine all the way !

Going to go on the 6th season (in a few months) - Still look like new. The quality is great............I also like the fact that if things just are a tad out, you can rotate the riser a bit to make things fit.

Great product !

Brownie,

Question for you............What is the minimum center to center engine spacing you can have when running the Big block High Torque III's (with & without a tall deck). This is one thing I never saw in any of the catalogs, or the website.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ratchet, std deck, hp heads, 34" out of the box. Special machining, 32 3/4". Std heads are 1/2" narrower.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

Originally posted by BROWNIE
Ratchet, std deck, hp heads, 34" out of the box. Special machining, 32 3/4". Std heads are 1/2" narrower.
Thanks Brownie........Just curious
Old 03-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Registered

So where do you get the best price on Stainless Marine Manifolds?
SSM direct or CP Performance?
Old 03-06-2003, 06:05 PM
SLP

I just recieved my system form CP, fast service and a good price.

Sam