Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Desktop dyno >

Desktop dyno

Notices

Desktop dyno

Old 03-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy I sold it two melted two pistons the first time he took it out. He put 87octane in it, so we rebuilt it, put 94octane in it and he burned it down again. Now this sled has been fine since 96, myself and my girlfriend rode it last year with no problems. It's strange the plugs are a nice dark tan, so it doesn't seem lean. So I'm going to pay for the parts and we will try it again. I'm going to go thru everything...carbs, airbox, fuel lines etc. Then fatten the hell out of it.
Before you pop it again check the crank seal on the PTO side sounds like you are sucking air.

Just a thought
Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I don't think I can get in any closer than what I have already shown

Originally posted by KAAMA
Ratchet, the only thing I chose was what the options were that the Desk Top gave me---not flow numbers, but like I said; it had several different oval port options. I merely chose which one I thought came the closest to what Chuck's friend was running and it sounds reasonable to me because of my own 540's and Doug's 540's. I'm sure it's not far off---he's going to be right around 600hp @5500rpm or so.
Kaama, I misread your post. For some reason I thought you were using dyno 2000, which I use. It lets you enter more detailed info. Providing you have a lot of info, It's a good tool as well. I found that with this, I seemed to get more realistic #'s, then with desktop dyno.

RJ
Old 03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
B.R.S.

Chuck

The GM square port heads will support 750hp right out of the box no porting required. I was going to have mine done last winter and Jomar said don't waist your money. My 509's made 549hp at 5100 on the dyno with the old intakes, the choke horns still on the carbs and box stock castings.

See ya when the weather gets nice.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Ratchet, yes on mine you can enter the flow numbers, but I have found them to be way off, so I chose not to enter the flow numbers and rather pick a head configuration that I think most duplicates what the engine actually has. I entered my own flow numbers from my heads and entered them in with all the other specs on my own 540's and the power was way down from the Desk Top as compared to my REAL dyno test numbers were on Tom Earhart's dyno.