Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Popping, Backfiring, Catching on Fire, Need Helppp >

Popping, Backfiring, Catching on Fire, Need Helppp

Notices

Popping, Backfiring, Catching on Fire, Need Helppp

Old 03-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have leaking exhaust. I had some pinholes in my headers and thought I had a timing issue.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:00 PM
cheitman

Sounds like a timing problem. Did you degree the cam in? Usually if it's a timing problem and it backfires through the carb, it is retarded.

Last edited by cheitman; 03-20-2003 at 01:03 PM.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Registered

sounds like a timing chain off or some valves sticking.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Registered

I had the same type of problem, reviewed timing and firing order literaly 100's of times, found I had mixed #7 and #8 wires....Dumb thing was I checked firing order over and over.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Miguel

I had paid 300 only for the company to degree the comp cams hydraulic roller cam in at D.S.S. The block came complete i just bolted the external things on like heads and intake.

Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a vacum gauge and check for a intake or carb leak. If that dont work double check your valve adjustment, it could be too tight, then get rid of the advance/retard knob, set up the dist with the black spacer and the springs that allow all timing in at 3500. I forget which ones they are. Start motor run it up to 3500 and set full timing at 34*. If you dont have wires crossed that has to work. I assume you have a msd distrib and box. What was the cam degreed in at?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I had the exact same symptoms when I changes my intake manifold. I had removed the old intake one day and covered the top of the motor. The next day, I put the new manifold on. I had pulled the Dist. cap off with the wires attached and set it off to the side. Apparently, condensation formed inside the cap and it was all wet. I looked for the problem for many hours before I turned the cap over and looked inside.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:15 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Assuming that your timing is correct, it sounds to me like your valves are too tight. How did you set the valve lash? What type of cam is it? Hydraulic roller , or ????
Old 03-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Registered

you can't deg a cam with the head's off, if they said they deg. the cam and then you put the heads on you got robbed.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I don't see why a cam can't be degreed with the heads off. You still have TDC to reference off of. The cam can be advanced or retarded just fine. You can also read when a lifter will start to move. I just can't think of anything that would be missing which would affect the cam timing.

Quick Reply: Popping, Backfiring, Catching on Fire, Need Helppp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.