Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HP 500s - How many hours before valve job is required? >

HP 500s - How many hours before valve job is required?

Notices

HP 500s - How many hours before valve job is required?

Old 03-25-2003, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this on two HP500's in my boat at 250 hours. All springs were good, but the head gaskets were beginning to show leakage between cylinders and some of the roller axles on the lifters had lost the crimp that keeps the axle from backing out and contacting the lifter bore. I replaced all springs, all roller lifters and went with the best Fel-Pro head gasket for the future.

The motors should be back in place in about two weeks and i can't wait.

Do a leakdown test at the very least, otherwise pull the heads while your at it. My .02.

Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Registered

Later... that is correct and is why oil temp is important. If the oil is exceeding 212*F, the water will boil out of the oil essentially self cleans. Vagrant must have a low oil temp condition to cause valve springs to rust. Either that, or a leaking riser causing too much water in crankcase to be vaporized by the hot oil.

BT
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Registered

Mark,

How many hours do you have? You don't seem to run hard, so I would go 300 hours before changing. At 300 hours, I would put springs in, but also replace the lifters. The Merc 500 lifters have a bad habit of breaking the link bar. I did everything on mine at ~300 hours and glad I did - most springs had at least on of the springs or the dampner broken. I also pulled the motors to get the parts out of the oil pan. Here's what was down there.

LP
Attached Thumbnails HP 500s - How many hours before valve job is required?-broken-springs-oil-pan.jpg  
Old 03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

LPBoater,

Yes I am finally breaking down and changing the springs at a minimum. Parts on the way. Will make the decision on wether to go farther once the valve covers are off and I can actually see what is in there and how bad it is or is not.

As we have discussed, so far I have no indication that there is a problem, however I have been convinced to do the springs, retainers etc. If once inside it is indeed "ugly" I will have to change directions at that point. Hope that is not the case because when it does come down to that point it opens the door for many things and more decision that have to be made. Would much rather make that a winter project than one at the beginning of the boating season.

We will see what happens none the less in the next few weeks.

Did you end up getting anything new in Miami?

Hope to see you and all the other regulars at the lake soon.

I AM READY!!!

Be Safe.

Mark
Old 03-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still maintain the problems with the valve springs was too much pressure causing the roller lifters to fail. If you are changing springs that have the higher pressures (get them measured) then I would change the roller lifters if I were you. And take a real good look at the roller rockers too. Been there, blown that up.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

formula31,

Good advice and info/ideas. I agree on the old spring - retainer setup causing excessive spring pressure. Particulary on the inner spring. I will, and do intend to, check as much as possible and replace what needs to be replaced now while I am into it. Just don't want to go much if any farther for now. That is another project at another time. At least I hope.

Thanks & Be Safe,

Mark