Kaama Surface Drives Slow to Plane >

Kaama Surface Drives Slow to Plane

Notices

Kaama Surface Drives Slow to Plane

Old 05-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dalump
Ive got one drive apart that has the proper gears 1:1.3 and now need to find a set for the "bad side"...
Proper? This depends on the gear ratio that is right for your boat/engine/prop combination. Kaamas came with several different gear ratios.

As far as where to find the gears, I have heard (hearsay only) that they can be found at most part supply houses (non-boating). Good luck.

PS -- The boots can also be repaired if they are not in too bad of a condition. Three years ago I had one with a hole in it, and had it repaired at a tire repair place. (I was skeptical, but everyone said it would work and I needed a quick fix to get back into the water.) It has worked fine and sealed tight ever since.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had to look for any, but what I hear is all the gears and such can be bought at non marine suppliers. If you need a boot, get in touch with Archer. They are back ordered right now, I contacted them a couple weeks ago and put my name on the list when they come in.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input.. I just finished (about 30 minutes ago) splitting the Starboard side drive's tail section which is the side that is over-revving. Bad news (I guess). The gears are exactly the same at the Port side. 26T input, 23T output. Good news is that these things are a breeze to get apart. Pretty simple on the insides.

I used the word "proper" because on the last outing, which was basically the first time up on plane, the port engine was pushing 4900-5000+ RPM and the Starboard was spinning well into the high 6000's when I quickly caught the tach and backed it off.. Once up on plane, I had to back the starboard throttle to about 50% to match the RPMs of the Port engine.

My first thought was drive gear ratios mis-matched. They are stamped differently on the case tags but who know how many times they were changed since 1985 when built new

This boat was originally equipped with 526 C.I.D. 4 bolt engines. They were shelled years ago I guess. When I bought it last september, it came with a set of newly rebuilt 420 HP 454's. Both engines run great, sound great and havent been a problem *(yet). I also have a "spare" set of 454's that came with it. They look OK to, but probably need to be checked out thoroughly.

It came with 4 blade cleavers that I was told were 27 pitch. Iv'e looked for any identification but only found a small stamping by the front side of the hub: Port is stamped "KME 994" Starboard "KME 995" They are counter rotating and mean as hell looking.

What are the chances that the BW-Twindisc transmissions have different gearing ratios? I'm not sure what to think now.

Any ideas?

Todd
Old 05-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Todd...how about some pics of that kaama drive apart. I'd like to see what's inside one.
Sounds like maybe your throttle cables need to be adjusted if you had to back off on your port engine to synchronize the rpm's for both engines??

jim
Old 05-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sorry that should have been starboard engine:
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Hey Jim,
Throttle cables are fine.. That was the first thing I checked last year prior to getting the boat wet. At idle position, perfect, nearly closed. At WOT both carbs are as open as they can get. Both reach WOT at the same throttle position.

I'l try to remember and bring my digital camera home from the office tomorrow and get some good pics. It's really a simple gear box set up.. Easy as hell to get off and apart. Having a hydraulic press makes getting the shafts out a piece of cake. I tried the heating case to 225 thing and tapping the prop shaft... That didnt work at all.. about 2 minutes with a press and the shafts with main bearings pop right out. (Did that this morning)

Todd
Old 05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess you better ck. the transmissions, if they are the twin disc ck. the oil level?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Hey Jim,
I dont specifically remember having a low fluid level in a transmission, but it's possible. I'l check that this weekend when I can spent some "quality time" under the engine hatches. Are you thinking slippage?

I would think if one is slipping that bad, the fluid would be burnt to hell?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dalump

I would think if one is slipping that bad, the fluid would be burnt to hell?
Or all over your bilge.
Don't ask.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 PM
don
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
Or all over your bilge.
Don't ask.
If they are Twin Disc 502 trans it will only cost about $1600 to rebuild it. Pull out the dipstick and see if it is black and stinks but the disc kit is $800 from twin disc. Thanks to Cuda and Ice I found a guy in Deland that was rebuilding but he might be out of business.