Diesel in Gas >

Diesel in Gas

Notices

Diesel in Gas

Old 04-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Diesel in Gas

My Neighbor bought a 1990 searay bowrider. I think it has a 4.3l V-6. Well he saw me working on my boat today and asked me for some help (like i'd know ). I guess the last fill up last year he THINKS he put diesel in to top it off. He said it was on about 5/8 a tank when he filled up. He said he took it out for about an hour or two then put it up for the winter. NOW he wonders if it's ok or not....I have no idea. I told him to pump it out but he is very anal and thinks it will run it self out What's the deal. The guy is too cheap and lazy to drain it out. Will he do any damage if he runs out.....I feel kinda bad though because I took him out last year on his first boat ride and it was shortly after that he bought his boat.....

BH
Old 04-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad,
It problably won't hurt anything. At worst it could foul some or all the plugs. At best just smoke a little. If he ran it for an or two already he's probably ok. Add more gas and run it down as low as you dare go with out running out ,and refill.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Banned

I'm not sure about marine application, but in a car, the diesel pump won't fit in a gasoline hole.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

BEWARE DIESEL IN GASOLINE TANK!

Coming down the Mississippi a few years ago I docked at Oceola Arkansas where a local petroleum distributor was kind enough to bring a truck to the dock and fill me directly from the truck. Well, you know the rest. He put in a bunch of diesel fuel before the gas went in. I'm not sure how much.

I took off South and had barely got to Memphis when it happened. I was so worried about the diesel I lost my concentration, went outside the channel buoy and clipped a submerged stone dike. Ripped off one wheel and shaft and lop-eared the other. Cost me thousands.

Doc
Old 04-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Registered

I would drain it- The diesel could really wreck the octane rating- it's not just oil. PING PING BADA-BING.