Help build my motors >

Help build my motors

Notices

Help build my motors

Old 04-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XCIV8 well I'm one of the guys running the 330's on roids. I have Emi exhaust manifolds about $1100 per motor so that puts a big dent on your $2500 per motor. I'm running Merlin Oval port heads about 1100 per motor again big dent! Msd's on both motors another grand but you can work around them if you like but they are real nice to have.Edlebrock RPM intakes and 800 cfm holleys you might be able to find used on the board I did...other wise $125 for the intakes and around $500 each for carbs. I have 9.5 to 1 compression with hyperutectic pistons not to pricey but worth it IMHO. This late in the game you might have a hard time getting all the parts together (reasonable) before you want to hit the water. I have a 1993 31 Sonic very similar to what your running with 330's it would run 64gps after the new power it runs 74 and I love it! If I were you I would buy a couple things that will make the 330's a better running package and that you could use when you build bigger power. Buy some Lightning Headers way worth the money $1400 per pair, Ignitions or Roller rockers would be my next choice to spend some $$$ Run the thing and start looking for the parts you need to build the motors you really want. I have a line on some parts for short blocks cheap, keep looking for heads and carbs here on the board and you should be set in a few months. I did the 330's because I had to I blew one up and didn't have the money to buy 502's' so I did the best I could with what I had I spent $6000 thats with new exhaust (EMI) I had one ignition and a set of heads from another motor....traded some parts for another set of heads,bought my carbs off ebay and bought all my internal stuff through a wholesaler way cheaper than through a marine dealer. If you would like I can get you Federal Mogal part #'s that I used. and one more thing I used Harland Sharp rollers not the best but a good value!
Good Luck
Don
Old 04-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Scott72

I have a similiar setup to Dyno's, but I started with a 454 Mag as my base (bought the motor for $100 after it took water). Only used the block and crank. You can find a lot of used parts that could save you $, but I ended up spending around 6K which included CMI exhaust. Got my carb for cheap online, but went with an 850 Holley which is a little big for my application. Ended up with new rectangular port heads, but had a lot of work done to them (wedges etc) to get them to put out the HP in the correct RPM range. For all the money I spent, I'm in the 475 HP range, I could have gone with 502 Long Blocks without the hassle or sacraficing much HP. That may be the way to go....

Old 04-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys word on the street is there is a shortage on 502's right now....... I called runsnew for the 502's and the guy told me they have been back ordered since oct. 2002 and when he finnally gets them in the first few dozen are already sold......

I'm not touching the bearings or pistons.... (being the motors are fresh).... i was thinking of heads , roller cam , roller rockers, and now exhaust... ah what to do ????? has anyone ever seen headers like that???? just wondering what they are and if they are better than stock???
Old 04-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Registered

You could mimic the Merc 420 pretty cheaply. I had a boat with a pair of these and a boat with a pair of 400 cyclones. The 420 uses a Wiand Xcellerator intake with a 1 inch open spacer, Holley 800 double pumper, Crane hydraulic flat tappet cam (much cheaper than roller), rectangular port heads with Crane gold race rockers. I used Mallory Unilite distributers with MSD 6a boxes on my 400's. Car stuff (I know its not recomended but they worked perfectly for 6 years and only cost $600 for all.) And last but not least I have 2 pairs of Gil exaust with std Bravo tailpipes for sale.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

I can put the Federal Mogul part numbers here later this evening for you, evrythign that Both Dyno and SuperV, as well as Waterfoul and BGIII, are running. SuperV's engines dyno'd at 505 chp at 5400, and idle at 800 in neutral. Dyno's engines are the same as SuperV's except for the hypereutectic pistons in Dyno's.
Contrary to what Audacity said, you can be very pleased with 454 upgrades without spending cubic dollars on them.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Registered

Hey guys, Here is a 330 engine dynoed at Baker Engineering.

RPM..............Corrected torque.................C Hp

2800.......................486.................... .......260
3000.......................489.................... .......279
3200.......................490.................... .......299
3400.......................489.................... .......316
3600.......................489.................... .......335
3800.......................494.................... .......357
4000.......................499.................... .......380
4200.......................502.................... .......401
4400.......................499.................... .......418
4600.......................491.................... .......430
4800.......................478.................... .......437
5000.......................472.................... .......450
5200.......................458.................... .......454

The motor has our modified PEANUT PORT 330 HEADS, very mild hydraulic roller, large oval single plane intake, 830 carb. The pistons have a little more dome to compensate for the volume loss from the chamber work.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

crazyhorse...i said "you'll be very disappointed in what you get in return vs speed"...it's an older sonic...heavy plus 25 deg bottom...if it has alphas then 330 are too big...if trs's??...big time losses over a bravo....you gota look at the ENTIRE thing as one big system and assess it as such...no one seems to be asking how the bottom on that boat is...x-dim....all play a major factor...peoples answer is generally to through hp and $$$ at it to run faster...the things that are most important are after thoughts due to"i thought it would go faster!" hummmm
Old 04-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally posted by audacity
crazyhorse...i said "you'll be very disappointed in what you get in return vs speed"...it's an older sonic...heavy plus 25 deg bottom...if it has alphas then 330 are too big...if trs's??...big time losses over a bravo....you gota look at the ENTIRE thing as one big system and assess it as such...no one seems to be asking how the bottom on that boat is...x-dim....all play a major factor...peoples answer is generally to through hp and $$$ at it to run faster...the things that are most important are after thoughts due to"i thought it would go faster!" hummmm
Its got trs's ,how much HP i'm i loosing with the trs setup vs bravo...
i'm curious as to what the weight of it is , i have a 1986 broc of the rs 33 it says it weighs 7000lbs ....
x dim ?????? 25*bottom, the bottom is mint and has been blue printed....
the boat is in near new condition really sweet.....
my goal speed is to break 70 mph is this possible???

from what i've heard its a super rough water boat.....
Old 04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

My 30 Scarab with 420's, 6800lbs, 24 degree and TRS went 72.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:46 PM
turbo2256

This is my .02. I would pull the engines down put a good forged crank (possibly stroked a bit), H beam rods, some forged pistons and a cam with about .550 lift with as close as possible to 114 degree centerline. Then button it back up. HP increase would be minimal but the bottom end would be fairly bullet proof. Then next season go for some good cylinder heads. Fully ported oval port Edelbrocks would easly out perform square port stockers. I still believe the non siamesed 454 blocks live much longer than a 502.

Quick Reply: Help build my motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.