How to bleed Latham steering >

How to bleed Latham steering

Notices

How to bleed Latham steering

Old 05-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to bleed Latham steering

I have had the steering cylinders off of my boat and just reinstalled them. Can anyone tell me how to bleed the steering so al the air is removed from the system ?

Thanks

Cigaretteman
Old 05-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have the cylinders off, but when I bolted up my new dry pump, I did the following:

- Put as much fluid in the pump as possible
- Started the motor
- with the motor running, turned the wheel back an forth a few times (about 5 cycles or so)
- Checked the level & repeated till the level stabilized.

Like I said, I didn't ahve the cylinders off though, but I had no pump on it.

Hope this helps,
RJ
Old 05-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yoyo question, I just bought a bought with lathams, what fluid is used?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:21 PM
454hoho

Default *

Just call john at Latham and have him fax you the procedure to bleed them. or send me your fax number and if I can find mine I will fax them to you. (latham,very helpful people)

Old 05-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: *

Originally posted by 454hoho
Just call john at Latham and have him fax you the procedure to bleed them. or send me your fax number and if I can find mine I will fax them to you. (latham,very helpful people)

Thanks, If you can find it and have the time my fax number is
+45 43234301 I am in Denmark (Europe)

Cigaretteman
Old 05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this last weekend. Charged up a new system that was completely empty.

First, this is a three-person job! One person at the helm, one person to keep filling the system reserviour, the other at the rams to bleed.

Is there one PS pump or two? Mine has two...

Start with the motor farthest from the system reserviour. Fill it up to the top and keep it full for a while. Start the motor and have the helm person crank the wheel to the stop and hold it there. Crack loose the hose on the farthest ram hose from the helm, and wait for it to drain and bubbles to stop. Then crack loose the opposite hose on the other ram and bleed it. The "filler guy" will be busy keeping up, and DO NOT let the reserviour run dry or you have to start over.

Crank the wheel over to the other stop and bleed the opposite ram hoses. Crank it back, do it again. Crank it back, do it again, and again. Plan on getting wet, and ATF will go EVERYWHERE.

If you have redundant PS pumps, leave the 1st motor running, and repeat the whole procedure over again with the other motor started.

When you're close to being done, let the reserviour run to below the "fill to here" line. Once you're finished, you can top it off to the right level.

I bought 16 quarts of Dextron III ATF fluid, and only had 3 left when done.

Good luck, this process isn't a picnic.

Brian
Old 05-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally posted by p4-33
I just did this last weekend. Charged up a new system that was completely empty.

First, this is a three-person job! One person at the helm, one person to keep filling the system reserviour, the other at the rams to bleed.

Is there one PS pump or two? Mine has two...

Start with the motor farthest from the system reserviour. Fill it up to the top and keep it full for a while. Start the motor and have the helm person crank the wheel to the stop and hold it there. Crack loose the hose on the farthest ram hose from the helm, and wait for it to drain and bubbles to stop. Then crack loose the opposite hose on the other ram and bleed it. The "filler guy" will be busy keeping up, and DO NOT let the reserviour run dry or you have to start over.

Crank the wheel over to the other stop and bleed the opposite ram hoses. Crank it back, do it again. Crank it back, do it again, and again. Plan on getting wet, and ATF will go EVERYWHERE.

If you have redundant PS pumps, leave the 1st motor running, and repeat the whole procedure over again with the other motor started.

When you're close to being done, let the reserviour run to below the "fill to here" line. Once you're finished, you can top it off to the right level.

I bought 16 quarts of Dextron III ATF fluid, and only had 3 left when done.

Good luck, this process isn't a picnic.

Brian

Brian,

thanks for the info ! Mine has only one pump. I will see if I can round up a couple of friends to help.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what Latham tells you to do?
I installed a new system on my old boat. I simply filled the resevior, started the engine, turned to one side, refilled, turned to the other side, refilled. Then kept doing this untill it had stayed full. The oil will force the air out. Maybe I was lucky, but I don't see why it has to be so complicated, and waste so much oil.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, this came from Latham. The ram circuits are dead-end, meaning they don't circulate fluid. Without bleeding each ram, you'll never get the air from those lines.

The pump, cooler, and helm (T & P ports) do circulate, and these will eventually bleed air on their own.

Just following what the folks that do this for a living tell me to do... I only
"wasted" about 4 quarts of ATF, and at $2.49 a quart, knowing it was done right was worth the cost. My reserviour hasn't budged from the full mark at all.

Cig-man, how'd it work out?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Registered

Originally posted by p4-33
Yep, this came from Latham. The ram circuits are dead-end, meaning they don't circulate fluid. Without bleeding each ram, you'll never get the air from those lines.

The pump, cooler, and helm (T & P ports) do circulate, and these will eventually bleed air on their own.

Just following what the folks that do this for a living tell me to do... I only
"wasted" about 4 quarts of ATF, and at $2.49 a quart, knowing it was done right was worth the cost. My reserviour hasn't budged from the full mark at all.

Cig-man, how'd it work out?
I havenīt done it yet will be in about 2 weeks. I wanīt to get the boat out of the garage before I do it. Donīty want the mess in the garage !

Cigaretteman