Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
fresh7.4 locked up first time out >

fresh7.4 locked up first time out

Notices

fresh7.4 locked up first time out

Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like US1 said, also check piston to block clearance, maybe it is a little to tight , good luck and let us know what happens
Old 05-04-2003, 08:48 PM
cheitman

It still has stock pistons and Std. bore

Old 05-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say you overheated it too. I did it once when I put the raw water pump on backwards. I won't do that again. Luckily the motor wasn't hurt at all, I changed the hoses around and the next day everything was great.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 AM
formulaF302

check your distributor gear. If you put a billet cam in there it would have eaten your standard distributor gear and thrown the timing way out of whack. A bronze gear would then be required..just a thought from experience....

Old 05-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cheitman
Endplay was and again is .006. Motor was running 150-160 and I checked manifolds immediately after the incident and they were cool to the touch.
Sorry for your troubles. Just a question on end clearance and rear main install. Did you use a dead blow hammer to seat the bearing thrust surfaces when crank was installed. .006 end play was checked after all main bearings installed and torqued down? Any pictures of failed bearing and crank by chance. Machine shop had to polish or grind thrust area on crank. Did they check it for straightness? What did the other main bearings look like? Gotta make you nervous with NO clear answers why bearing failed. I know it would make me nervous Sorry for so many questions.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Check the drive coupler. Make sure the splines didn't twist. Did you have to draw the drive in the last 1/8 th of an inch?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Allan4

If you got a look at the water pres guage before it "locked up", that may be able to help you (or maybe the oil temp...if it was really hot). Any clog in the water line can disrupt flow and if that impellar gets hot enough it will shut the motor down. Happened to me when my water line clogged. It about gave me a coronary! I know you said the impellar looked fine, but maybe it heated up without ripping apart. Not likely perhpas, but that squeeking/squealing sound seems like that to me. Just my .02, alotmore knowledge on this thread than I got.....

Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Possible bent flexplate or maybe too much grease in the coupler splines. If the coupler has too much grease it will hydrolock and put a huge amount of pressure on the thrust bearing.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Registered

sure sounds like it was getting hot. I'd bet the squeal was in fact the impellar. What about your water pickups are they all clear? Are you sure it is actually getting water?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:43 PM
220BR

I still like US1's question. Did you set the piston rings to "marine" gap instead of auto? Boats run hotter pistons (always under load) and cooler blocks.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: fresh7.4 locked up first time out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.