Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP! over heating >

HELP! over heating

Notices

HELP! over heating

Old 05-04-2003, 07:22 PM
racinbird

Default HELP! over heating

I just rebuilt the top half of my 502, rebuilt the heads due to compression loss. I removed the old rusty looking T-stat and installed a new Siera 163' T-stat. Temp is fine on hose and at idle. Under load anywhere above 1500 rpm, temp climbs up and will go to 240'! As soon as I return to idle it drops back to 160' I removed and checked the belt driven water pump ( I have a cross over, so its a belt driven pump that runs off the same pump as the fuel pump) and it looked fine. I didnt pull the lower impellor apart, I was at the lake so that was out, I went to the T-stat next. I removed the T-stat, the overhitting problem is cured, but now it never goes above 100', way too low. Was that T-stat bad, wrong, or what? Should i look into a restricter plate instead? Any help would be great, thanks, Derrick

Old 05-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you match up the old head gaskets to the new?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 PM
racinbird

yes, all gaskets are exact same part numbers with macthing holes

Old 05-04-2003, 07:48 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

IS T-STAT IN UPSIDEDOWN,HOW MUCH WATER PREASURE DO YOU HAVE AND IS IT AT THE BLOCK?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:54 PM
racinbird

no, T-stat was installed correctly, ides fine so it is opening, just maybe not enough, I dont know, this is a weird situation. Cools down fast when i idle engine, i was thinking maybe one of the pumps is going out, but after removeing ( I should say gutting and leaving T-stat without middle pieces as a restrictor) the temp stayed at or below 100' so i ruled out a bad pump or gaskets or head, but Im not sure.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:57 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

CHECK FOR RESTRICTION IN COOLER,STRAINER ECT.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:03 PM
racinbird

Im not sure what my water pressure is and Im not sur what you mean by "is it at the block"? I doubt there is a restriction in the coolers, It ran cooled fine a few weeks ago, other than the head rebuild i changed nothing but the t-stat, if is wasnt the t-stat then why does it cool so well with it removed? Im not sating it isnt anything else, im just curious what else would only be efected with the t-stat in or out.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same trouble, it was the sea strainer.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:47 PM
racinbird

ok, this is going to be a stupid question, but whats the sea strainer?

Old 05-04-2003, 08:48 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

WITH NO T-STAT THEIR IS NO RESTRICTION TO THE BLOCK & HEADS.WATER CAN FLOW STRAIGHT THRU AND YOU WILL NOT GET ANY WATER TEMP.THAT'S WHY I SAY THEIR IS TO MUCH RESTRICTION FROM SOMETHING.YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND IT.

Quick Reply: HELP! over heating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.