Motor mount question >

Motor mount question

Notices

Motor mount question

Old 05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor mount question

I discovered that on both motors the left nut on top of motor mounts were loose. Left meaning looking at them in the boat.

This maybe a dumb question but, do I just tighten them down? Do they have any effect on motor hight or do they just tighten down the motors to the mounts? They are in a 1990 30' Sonic and they are not offshore mounts.

Is it common for one side to come loose? The motors are 650 hp each, right hand rotation,counter rotating drives outwards. Is it from too much power and torque?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the drive coupler alignment! It could mean lower nut has spun down, top nut wasn't tightened enough, lock tabs weren't used/ broken off, etc. Better to check alignment now, than to have coupler go south while out enjoying yourself.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Too much power and torque???????
Didn't think there was such a thing.....
Are you talking about the bolts going in to the glassed in mounts???
Lag Bolts??
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like DAVID said --- You must check the drive alignment. If you don't you may be replacing the drive couplings and that means pulling the motors. Any time the motor mounts are loose you MUST check the alignment.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Registered

Yea, the top nuts dont come loose, the bottom nuts do, which then drops the front of the motor and screws up the alignment, check it and using the locking tabs on the lower nut and torgue the begeeses out of the top nut.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

There is also a bottom nut, which is tight, and they all have the tabs bent over. The top nuts were loose.

Convincer, I am talking about the part of the mount where the engine sits, not the mount itself.

am I making sense? I will pull the drives and check alignment.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 10:23 PM
doug hess

Formula 31 has the right idea. Check to seek if the locking tabs on the bottom nuts are bend against the side of the nuts to keep them from rotating. You may need a mirror to see this clearly.

If the tabs were not holding the nuts, check the alignment.. If it is off, moving the lower nuts up until tight with out changing the top nuts will probably improve things.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

A right spinning engine would lift the starboard motor mount and potentially make the nut come up as you describe. I have had a similar problem with a left spinning engine making the port mounting nut come loose. I would check alignment although the fact that the tab washers are still there speaks for that nothing has changed with the nuts that the engine rests on.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Registered

Paul has the alignment tool. Weather its top or bottom that has moved I agree you have to verify the alignment. Ill bring it with me to the sanding party.
We are going to need lots of RUM!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Registered

I will have pleeeeeenty of food, alcohol and sand paper!!!!

Quick Reply: Motor mount question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.