Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
burning rubber/plastic smell >

burning rubber/plastic smell

Notices

burning rubber/plastic smell

Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 PM
cheitman

Default burning rubber/plastic smell

Finally took the boat out this year and made it back onto the trailer under her own power! New motor and drive performed great, however, noticed a burning rubber/plastic smell. I stopped and checked wires and felt the coupler rubber several times throughout the day and could not find anything out of the ordinary. I hammered it many times from a dead stop to see if it was the coupler giving out. Drove for about an hour total. When i got home I noticed the stickers on the on-board battery charger looked like they may have got warm. Plugged in the charger and it still works. I did acidentally leave the ac and charger switches on the shore power panel. I don't see how this would affect anthing though. Maybe it was just the Duipli-Color paint wearing off. The motor was only running 150 and the manifolds were cool. Any suggestions????????

Old 05-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burning rubber smell could be as simple as a loose belt.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

New motor? New ex. man. gaskets? The composition gaskets that CMI sent with my new headers smelled pretty bad for the first hour or so running but I retorqued and everything is fine now. Even if the manifolds feel cool where the water runs through, they get damn hot at the port where they bolt to the head. Hope it's just that simple. --- Jer
Old 05-19-2003, 09:16 PM
cheitman

The belts are all tight. It could be the gaskets. I sure hope so. If it was the coupler you sure would think that it would have let go after an hour of running. Or do they slowly give away?

Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

It's been my experience that a coupler will let go all at once with no warning.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me this spring. Over the winter I installed new exhaust. CMI's to be exact. The burning rubber smell was the header gaskets burning in. It became less noticable as the day went on and the next time out it was gone.

Ron
Old 05-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I put 4 hrs on my new CMI's and can still smell the gaskets. I retorqued them today so hopefully it will go away now.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Registered

And when the coulper goes you don't usually smell anything, but the tow rope from your bow forward is a dead givaway. --- Jer
Old 05-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jpclear
And when the coulper goes you don't usually smell anything, but the tow rope from your bow forward is a dead givaway. --- Jer
When my coupler went, it smelled and looked like someone was burning a pile of tires under the hatch!
Old 05-20-2003, 11:49 AM
cheitman

I did'nt see much smoke but that's the smell. In fact, the boat behind me smelled it too. Maybe i'll let the S.O.B. burn and call the ins. co. I would sure like to step up to a 312 Fastech! It would probably look too suspicious if the stereo and valuables were removed first!

Quick Reply: burning rubber/plastic smell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.