Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water circulation and quieter exhaust?? >

Water circulation and quieter exhaust??

Notices

Water circulation and quieter exhaust??

Old 05-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water circulation and quieter exhaust??

I have switched to a crossover/bypass setup since my supercharger install and have noticed something that is strange (or maybe not?)
After removing my circulating pump and installing the crossover setup the boat is substantially quieter at idle.
I have installed it the same as Kanookster’s and it works flawlessly. We use the Merc HP500 “T” on the crossover that is spring loaded with balls to regulate pressure at idle. (the outlets of the T are the only feed to the exhaust upstream.) I also run a 120 degree thermostat with two dumps from the thermostat housing to my exhaust tips. Temps stay constant 110-115 and my pressure runs 3 lbs at idle and 22 at WOT with the pressure relief valve closed.
My guess is that the re-circulating pump that was on there, somewhat restricted water flow to the exhaust if the 160 degree thermostat was closed at idle; at least much more than it does now. When my thermo is now closed or open the exhaust is getting ALL of the water at idle. I don’t think this hurts performance because either way when running hard the exhaust should be getting all of the water anyway because the thermostat will be open. It’s just much quieter at idle now.
Doesn’t sound as cool but will probably baffle the water police. (no pun intended ;o)

Has anyone else noticed this after converting to a crossover? Maybe this just a byproduct of using the Merc T in this fashion.
It works very well...just quieter.

Dave
Old 05-23-2003, 05:55 PM
bobby daniels

It works well its just that you can't compress water so you want all the water you can out of the exhaust as again its like having a brick in the exhaust flow ,,H.P. is being eaten !!!
add a dump and get the water out all you need is enough to cool the rubber ect. 1 or 2 ,,,,,,1/4" holes and plug the rest some how