Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems >

Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems

Notices

Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems

Old 06-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Allan4

XS Performance Marine......Maxx and Alfster. These guys are excellent to work with and are making great systems. On top of the fact that they are OSO'ers and can be found right here on the board. I just installed a dual ram from these guys and it is great...definitely top of the line stuff.

My pick goes to them.....

Seeya

Old 06-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for WPM. Ive got a system on my boat, no problems and everything looks great.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:06 PM
ren3

Give XS a shot. They are excellent OSO members trying to get a company started based on extreme quality and performance. I bought their dual ram external full hydraulic system for twin TRSs. If you can find better service and quality, buy it, but XS deserves your consideration. Bob.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:34 PM
1_bigdogg

WPM did buy out Conners and made Marine Machice cylinders for years and marine machine made their own wing plates ect. then MM had money trouble and was almost down for the count and the owner truly as I was told today hit the lottery and bought new equipment and started making thier own stuff but WPM was first with the complete steering after Latham

Sorta but not quite . When MM first started they were buying cylinders from Connors..not WPM. In fact this is where the original Mayfair name came into play. You see Brett May was John Connors buddy and was the link to the cylinders and MM made the rest of the stuff. Thats when they decided to give customers a choice other than Latham.You see before Latham there was Mac McMillan makin stuff for the local boat companies and likes of Bobby Moore and such. That was back in '80's. By 1990 MM decided to get real serious and bought its first CNC machines. At this point everything started to be produced in house and has been ever since.
Now as for the money issue....HAHA....this was one of the funniest pranks I've ever been privied to. It all started as a joke with one customer...and he told 2 friends..and they told 2 friends...you get the picture. This joke is still laughed about today by them. time went by Brett moved on and the MM name took presidence again. Then Stolarz sold the boat company (Warlock)and bought Connors out. This was I believe in the mid-90's. Well the rest is pretty much known. Trust me I know.....I've known the MM guys since they were building the Midnight Express boats.

Oh yeah I forgot....there are 2 owners at MM not 1....

anyways thats my little trip down memory lane.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:41 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Talk to someone in - the -know about helm displacement. I know that it has been an advantage to run larger capacity (displacement) helms on our pad bottom boats. Most manufacturers install.... or kits will have, an 80cc helm. I installed a 125cc helm/full twin drive Imco kit. A little quicker response, fewer turns lock-to-lock, and makes our "loose" @ speed Velocities (22' and 32' especially) easier to drive, with less wheel work to keep the boats "squarely" on the pad at speeds over 80 mph. The next commonly available helm displacement is 160cc...too quick for rec. use for most. My boat is left in fresh water 5 mos a year and the stuff has held up well other than the plating on the cylinder end caps which had cosmetic issues by the end of the first season. They have gone to a better quality end cap and line fittings a couple years ago I believe. The tie bar is very nice stuff. My system and install is six yrs. old. Don't be afraid to drill and tap the case...it's cake, just take your time and use plenty of light oil.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Registered

I have to agrea with Allan and Ren3 I have an XS Performance system on my boat and have been very happy with the level of service that I have recived. Alfster and Maxx were both great to deal with.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems

ttt

Hi BigDogg,

How well did you know the McMillen family? If these are the same guys, old time Miami boys, machinists, mechanics and raceboat guys, Tommy is a very good friend of mine.

He's a mechanic working at the local Donzi dealer in my town and I have known him for years. Helps me out a bunch with my 35' Mistress. Keep trying to get him to bring his machines over and set up shop in my building, go back to the way things were in the old days.

Let me know if we are thinking about the same guys.

Harry

Originally Posted by 1_bigdogg
Sorta but not quite . When MM first started they were buying cylinders from Connors..not WPM. In fact this is where the original Mayfair name came into play. You see Brett May was John Connors buddy and was the link to the cylinders and MM made the rest of the stuff. Thats when they decided to give customers a choice other than Latham.You see before Latham there was Mac McMillan makin stuff for the local boat companies and likes of Bobby Moore and such. That was back in '80's. By 1990 MM decided to get real serious and bought its first CNC machines. At this point everything started to be produced in house and has been ever since.
Now as for the money issue....HAHA....this was one of the funniest pranks I've ever been privied to. It all started as a joke with one customer...and he told 2 friends..and they told 2 friends...you get the picture. This joke is still laughed about today by them. time went by Brett moved on and the MM name took presidence again. Then Stolarz sold the boat company (Warlock)and bought Connors out. This was I believe in the mid-90's. Well the rest is pretty much known. Trust me I know.....I've known the MM guys since they were building the Midnight Express boats.

Oh yeah I forgot....there are 2 owners at MM not 1....

anyways thats my little trip down memory lane.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Registered

I'd appreciate it if anyone has them that the web links to these guys be posted. I've got some parts for external steering (Wing plates I thingk) that I was going to sell but since there are no takeds I think I'm going to replace the old TRS system with the external "jewlery".

Also--does anyone recognize the manufacturer of the parts I've got--pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems-trs-extern-steering-parts-b.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorsche
Also--does anyone recognize the manufacturer of the parts I've got--pics attached.
Those wing plates look like the older style Marine Machine wing plates.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Only the Best Will Do!

A Mayfair Single Ram Add-on System With The Brazil Valve Runs $1375.98. This Comes With All Stainless Braided Hoses Inside And Out, High Polished Steering Cylinder Assembly, End Cap And All Hardware With Instructions To Make Installation A Breeze.

Quick Reply: Ranking Hyd. Steering Systems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.