Drew Shotgun Silencer Users! >

Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Notices

Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Old 06-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike-I forgot to mention this when we were at Loto...but you're tips are not even opening up half way.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Cord...When I first installed the Shotguns I remember wondering why they didn't open all the way. I called Drew and he said that it should take close to 800 hp to get them CLOSE to all the way open...He said 1/2 way is normal..Anyways guys I just lubed them up good and put them in the top hole. The bottom hole actually put them under more pull from the spring. I also adjusted them so at stop they are open about 1/4" FROM the end of the tip compared to the previous stop which was about 1/4" IN from the end of the tip. So anyways Im going to see how this works for now.

BH
Old 06-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I am possibly interested in the Drew Shotgun mufflers. What I want for them to do is stay pretty much closed at idle speeds, but I want them 100% OPEN ALL THE WAY once I am above 2500rpm---is this at all possible with the Shotguns without much trouble?

Also, how long does it take to lube them? Does any part or parts need removing before lubing can take place?----Or, does the entire muffler need to be removed from the tailpipe/boat in order to lube it?----Or, can the entire muffler remain intact and on the boat/tailpipe and lube there without any hassels?

Thanks in advance---

Mark/KAAMA
Old 06-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Registered

Mark...The lube thing only took me about 45minutes and that was with a beer break As far as them opening all the way past 2500 the uniquie thing about the shotguns is that they open as much as your motor needs them...You can I think get springs to do what you want thou talk to Drew.

Bh
Old 06-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I have Shotguns and I have actually run with them completely shut. I have some tree huggers in the family and wanted to take them for a boat ride. I adjust the arm on the pivot so they would not open. This was after talking to Drew Marine who said it would not be a problem and that enough air/water woud escape out the bottom slots. My boat ran fine although I didnt go wide open. The Shotguns do make a noise that could be confused with a miss, knock, or lifter noise.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drew Backlund Shotgun Mufflers

I knew Drew quite well in the 80's when he built these.
I had a set and they didn't last long on daily use on a drag hydro.
I may have a new set in my shop

Originally Posted by Cord
Yes, I had a set on my old boat. They worked pretty good. After I had a set for a while, I noticed that one of the blade bushings had cracked a weld. A closer examination showed that only 1 wasn't broken. I called Drew up and he blamed it on the shaft not being lubricated. He said that the shaft would bind and then twist the welds thus breaking them. Now there can't be all that much force on the throttle blade, but the welds are really tiny so it proably doesn't take much to break them.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 4,314 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I read this whole thing and it was from 2003 , thanx a lot I livein the past man
Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Funny thing is, there are dime current threads with people looking for these,. This close……
Old 08-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drew Backlund Shotgun Mufflers

Didn't understand your reply.
I know drew backlund personally and was with him when he was making the header mufflers he named shotgun...

Originally Posted by SB
Funny thing is, there are dime current threads with people looking for these,. This close……
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 06:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Some, nor dime. Sorry. Slanted fingers on telephone keyboard.

Cool that you helped on the shotguns. I had a pair for a while and really liked them. Type without bunch of holes in the moving plate. They where solid.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (08-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Drew Shotgun Silencer Users!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.