Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Mag HO water circ. problem >

496 Mag HO water circ. problem

Notices

496 Mag HO water circ. problem

Old 06-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Kentz

You say, you put in the water and it takes forever, does it flow? and then run fine?

Old 06-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time I dropped it in the water, I had to rev the hell out of it several times and then wait an uncomfortable amount of time (HOT!) before it finally started to flow. I then ran the boat for a few hours and it continued to flow. When I pulled the boat out of the water, I let everything drain out and then backed back into the water and tried it again with the same results. I did pull the water pump and the impeller looked perfectly fine to me. I did notice that when I took the pump apart where the end of the impeller rubs, there are some very fine circular grooves where it revolves, but nothing that looks like a problem. Maybe there should be no grooves at all? Anyway, I hooked everything back up and was able to get water flowing with the garden hose on the out drive. I need to submerge it in standing water to see what it does next. There's still something about it that doesn't seem quite right. Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have followed this thread for a little while and last week I would have posted "I have no problem". Well, checking the boat out before going out this weekend. I found three of the four exhast tubes warp and one with a split in it. I have only ran the boat twice on a hose to flush it after last weekend in the ocean. So I guess I'll check my impellers to rule them out.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Kentz

Those "grooves" that are wore into the brass end-plate are why I got new pump assemblies, under warranty. Again, hot is relative, it sounds like it runs fine when your in the water and running the boat.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Registered

I do the same as BillR. Once I have an oil pressure reading, I just blip the throttle up to about 1500 and she starts pumping.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Where will cooling water debris most likely end up in a 496? Oil cooler?, Heat Exchanger?
If the heat exchanger can it be cleaned out be removing the end cap?

I know on my old 454 mag the oil cooler capture most things.
Attached Thumbnails 496 Mag HO water circ. problem-496cw.jpg  
Old 06-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Registered

The oil cooler is the first place debris will go. The inside of the oil cooler is like a honeycomb. It will catch larger debris. This is where I found a piece of impellar fin that was causing me a problem.

If debris gets to the heat exchanger the end caps can be take off. The heat exchanger is also honeycomb shaped inside. I had mine off looking for a cooling problem. (before I found the 2 impellar fins blocking the oil cooler).
Old 05-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Registered

Interesting. There seem to be many of us having this problem after changing the impeller. My pump housing was find but I still have an issue drawing good pressure when on the hose. It never had the problem before...

Has anyone tried contacting Merc direct to discuss?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered

Default You guys are scaring me

I'm hopeful I'll get my first ride in this weekend.
I have never had a problem, yet. Original impeller
over 200 hours and never started it out of water.
Maybe that garden hose wont flow enough.
I'll post my results. JC
Old 06-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 496 Mag HO water circ. problem

Has anyone found a cure for this problem? I am having the same or similar problem, but one motor seems to be worse than the other and it also seems to run a good 10 degrees hotter or so. I have tried back flushing the system and have new impellers and so on. No change.

Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: 496 Mag HO water circ. problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.