plugging old exhaust holes?? >

plugging old exhaust holes??

Notices

plugging old exhaust holes??

Old 06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plugging old exhaust holes??

i would like a little lesson, on what to use(Products)????
and kind of a step by step process.... PLEASE ....

I was going to use dyna hair (long strand) or also known as tiger hair or mar glass, etc.. i 've done quite a bit of body work, and that stuff is tough as nails on cars and trucks
and it says its waterproof on the can..... but , read a couple old threads on hear that don't like the stuff in marine applications...

the holes i have to fill are about 5 1/2 inches dia, and are well above the water line...

i want to seal these up and do the right way, any advise on this will be appreciated
Old 06-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 06-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i would take an cut a 5 " circle out of marine plywood approximately the same thickness as what is presently used in your lamination bevel both the boat and the circle then grind back4-5 inches and start laying up fiberglass starting in the center and working out in progressivly large piece so as to end with a couple layer bridging the 8-10 in span grind down flush use your cosmetic fills finish in paint or gel and you should be ready to start over with new holes.
later
Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

west marine fairing compound will be your friend. Its bondo for boats. I used a ton of it on my dash project. nice tough finish but can easily be sanded. And sand you will. Glop it on get it close to flat then break otu yoru random orbit sander and make it flat they either paint or gelcote over it. YOu might be abel to use gelcoat paste and afairing compound. Just get reayd to sand sand and sand soem more. ALl eth way to 16000 grit wet sandign then compound and waxing for that smooth glossy finish.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with Later on this one. Fill it with Marine Plywood, just a bit thinner then the boat is at that point. If there is not core where your tips go through then grind a taper into the hull (as Later said about 4" back or so) then put a piece of thick riggid glass on the inside of the hull (sand with 36 grit or so were this piece will make contact) This piece will be your inside barrier to allow for the outside pieces to hold onto. Then build up the outside with matt tell you get it level with the boat. Then sand and fill any large voids were needed. From there fair it out with the mar glass and paint or gel.

Jon
Old 06-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Registered

thx everyone
Old 06-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally posted by puder
west marine fairing compound will be your friend. Its bondo for boats. I used a ton of it on my dash project. nice tough finish but can easily be sanded. And sand you will. Glop it on get it close to flat then break otu yoru random orbit sander and make it flat they either paint or gelcote over it. YOu might be abel to use gelcoat paste and afairing compound. Just get reayd to sand sand and sand soem more. ALl eth way to 16000 grit wet sandign then compound and waxing for that smooth glossy finish.
16000 whoa thats like notebook paper