100 mph or bust it >

100 mph or bust it

Notices

100 mph or bust it

Old 06-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 mph or bust it

Ok,here is my story, last year 500 efi with vortechs good for 88,long way to go, so... here are my new engines so far ,572 tall deck 4.5 stroke,4.5 bore 8.2 compression, all good stuff merlin ,eagle, je, my heads are flowing 372 i and 285 e @ .650 lift,and I have a set of stelling 2.5" pipes.The vortechs have two intercollers to keep the air cool and I like keeping them at 5-6 lbs,my question is what cam,heres my choice242 250 -114- 651,673,I want to make it 75 hrs before spring change and want to see 6500 rpms because I spend 95 % of my boating at 50 mph or less and when its time to strech her legs a bit Im the first to realize if I cant catch him in the first mile or two it isnt going to help letting her wide open for a hour,and when I poker run I can prop her up a bit.My last question is where do I go with drives ,I know this has been chewed on alot but I dont know where to begin .I had pretty good luck with the stock bravos with imco shafts, but did break 3 uppers all on the port side I think I was liftting the cap off .I know these engines will tear them up ,,they were on the edge before.Please give me some input ,its always been cheaper to learn from someone whos been there.THANKS KEVIN
Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Registered

save some money and buy two B max drives, 38 foot with that power bravos will not last long at all, we even have a member[bender] who might be able to help you out on a pair
Mark
Old 06-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy BMAX drives ????

Just a question for someone out there who might know. Is it true that BMAX will only give you a slight warranty on just a 1:36 ratio drive and not even a warranty on a 1:50 drive? Just wondering, a customer told me this once but I have never called out to BMAX to see if this is true. They do build a beefy drive though.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
Old 06-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were braking drives before, those 572's wont help! I have a 35 Fountain Whippled 502's with IMCO Extreme SC's wounded both of drives last year. Built 540's with the Whipples and different heads and cam. I am very easy with them this year and so far so good. Do you mean 5500 rpm, I dont think you want to turn your motors 6500 rpm, it seems from listening to the people on the board that 6000 rpm is about the max rpm a Bravo drive can take and you are already having problems. Is your cam a Hyd. roller or solid lifter. Like you I spend most of my time at 50 mph. Running 1.34 gears and 29 Hydromotive props I turn 3000 rpm at 50-52 mph depending of the water and load. Bobby Daniels or blown 1500 from the board can point you in the right direction. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Registered

I am using a solid roller and I the have comp endura marine lifters,but I have been getting so many different cam specs from the manufactures would like to hear from some one who has a simular set up ,I really want this thing to idle ,because I THINK alot of drives get hurt when they slam into gear.THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A GUY UP NORTH THAT HAS A 382 THATS RUNS HARD DOES ANYBUDDY KNOW HOW TO REACH HIM.LASTLY HAS ANYONE SEEN ANY OF MERCS MAXIMUS 5 BLADES AROUND
Old 06-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

There is no reason why your motors shouldn't idle. That cam isn't too crazy.
I've got a Dominator with a decent sized solid roller and it idles at 700rpm's with no problems.
I don't know too much about superchargers but I've seen boats that were blown idle without the surge.
Also keep and eye on you lash if it starts loosening get those lifters out of there. I've had nothing but problems with the Comp solid rollers.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:29 AM
bobby daniels

The guys on here are right Bravos go into cavation around 6 thousand rpms,and this plus being thrown into gear is tough on them ,we used to make them so we could start in gear to keep
from hurting gears .

Also that cam should idle just fine somthing else is wrong I feel ,carb air bleeds ,,blown power valves ect, maybe something as wild as the lash way off
I lean towards a fuel problem ,,be sure power valves are indexed and run a 2.5 power valve .any other info ??
My 2 cents stay away from b-max you'll spend half your life trying to get the ****hing right and water leaks fixed but no broken gears !!!

GET ISKY LIFTERS FOR SURE !!!! AND SPRINGS IF YOU CAN !!
Also may need 8lbs of boost with 2 innercoolers and only 8.2 comp

Last edited by bobby daniels; 06-07-2003 at 11:34 AM.

Old 06-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for your guy's input ,I am going to run the pfm set up ,also known as gorrila fuel injection,I should have put that info in the original forum ,I haven't bought the cam yet but with the adjustable efi I was hoping this cam isn't to big to get a 700 rpm idle,I talked to imco and he felt a lot of the drive failures were due to high idle speed shock when shiftinging in and out of gears.when you guys have failures in the xr drives what normaly happens does the bottom tower let go top tower or is the gears still the weak link one shop said the case is flexing
Old 06-07-2003, 03:10 PM
bobby daniels

I can tell you haven't planed latley because as of about a month ago teaque bought the pfm innercooler bussiness and gorrila kits
don't work to well when they made them

As far as drive failures it alot of reasons or read my previous post to you ???
Dustin whipple broke his rolling on the throttle easy from 35 to 40 mph range ,you really can't narrow it to one problem it the whole design and different problems ,,,the most we see in our shop is the floor of the gear breaking out ,which can be fixed

Old 06-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Registered

bobby do you have any more info on the pfm set up I was going by what the magazine articles were raving about,this kind of took the wind out of my sails I thought I was going to have a programable efi that worked, what kind of problems were they having ,does anyone know boat with this system on

Quick Reply: 100 mph or bust it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.