Refilling compass. >

Refilling compass.

Notices

Refilling compass.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Refilling compass.

After getting the boat out of winter storage I noticed that the compass had lost quite a bit of fluid. Enough to make it not work properly.

Went to the drug store and purchased some Glycoren (sp?). Refilled compass. Now the compass is floating in there at a wierd angle. Kind of sits at a 45 deg angle in the housing. Again, causing it to not work correctly. I keep moving the body of the compass around trying to get it to set right with no luck.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a possibility that the fluid originally in the compass is different than what I topped it off with causing a problem?

Ideas?

Buck
Old 06-13-2003, 12:47 AM
Mr. Demeanor

THE compass is supposed to be filled with oderless mineral spirits. To get all the air out, put the mineral spirits in the freezer and use a syringe to fill. Leave the fil hole at the very top with the cap off. As the mineral spirits warm up, it expands and gets any tiny air bubbles out.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure you didn't use Vodka. That would explain the wierd angle.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Scott
Sure you didn't use Vodka. That would explain the wierd angle.
Anything's possible with me.

If the compass is "supposed" to be filled with odorless mineral spirits then why has everything thread discussing this lately said that it is Glycoren? (sp)

Buck
Old 06-13-2003, 10:33 AM
ren3

If it is a Ritchie compass they no longer use any form of mineral spirits. I suggest that you contact their customer service department and they will redoe your compass at a fair price. You still need the leak repaired. You definitely did not put the right fluid in. I just had my FB500 serviced and brought up to date by them. Their turn around is about two weeks, and you will have an upgraded compass to current design standards when they are finished.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of people using Baby Oil.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Knowing your local, I'm just glad that you didn't use rendered chicken fat.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Registered

K...I'll call Ritchie. That's the brand of compass I have anyway. I'm sure it's nothing more then the wrong stuff in there.

Cord...Moonshine would have been the liquid of choice in my area given the availability of the product.

Thanks all!!

Buck
Old 06-13-2003, 11:47 PM
Registered

Fred,

I hate to do that to you. Something tells me that you'll use it somewhere down the road with all the boats you work on. I did see it for sale on West Marine's site in fairly small quantities.

It looks like I'll need to empty it and start over. I don't know how much the thing holds. 8-10 oz maybe? Dunno?

Buck
Old 06-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Compass? We don't need no stinkin compass!!!!!!! Dude, where you boat, do you really need a compass?? LOL!!! Can you EVER get out of sight of land? Didn't think so.

Quick Reply: Refilling compass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.