Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Offshore Throttle's - Gaffrig Performance or Gaffrig Lavorsi ??? >

Offshore Throttle's - Gaffrig Performance or Gaffrig Lavorsi ???

Notices

Offshore Throttle's - Gaffrig Performance or Gaffrig Lavorsi ???

Old 06-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

puder, that is correct. to the best of my knowledge, he was a cop in chicago who started this business on the side with a partner. he died of cancer many moons ago...
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean,how did this Gaffrig and Gaffrig by Livorsi thing come
about? Are their products different? I just bought all my
gauges from Gaffrig by Livorsi, are they the real deal?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Registered

Livorsi Marine is the company that has spent the last 15 or so years developing, promoting, and supplying Gaffrig instruments and performance products. Excellent customer service. Excellent product. IMO they ARE the real deal. Take a deceased persons family member, a few lawyers, and a bunch of our courts time and you have another soap opera to produce.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Registered

Well Sean, I guess "everyone" doesn't know what they think they know.
Also let me apologize for miss speaking on "Mr. Gaffrig" It is true he has passed and was a cop.

Before I start however, I gotta ask; How can "Gaffrig by Lavorsi" be the real thing? Think about it.

Gaffrig History 101:

Patty and James Gaffrig started the company along with a partner named Rich Martinech (sp) who has also passed.

Rich Martinech is Mike Schultz's step father. Mike Schultz worked in the company since he was a teenager and after the passing of James and Rich, Mike bought the company from Patty.

DAVE
Old 06-20-2003, 12:34 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

maybe legally the name gaffrig belongs to gaffrig performance.

BUT

the guages and controls everyone uses are gaffrig by livorsi.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

Gaffrig by Livorsi can be the real thing in that Mike Livorsi bought the company from Mr. Gaffrig.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Registered

Gary,

Mike bought the company from Patty. read above.

Puder,
As far as what "everyone" uses, I'd be willing to bet it's because of people not knowing who is who. And as far as legally, that's why they're in court over it.

DAVE
Old 06-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave F,
You are obviously a friend of Mike Schultz. I respect that. But my take on this, is that Livorsi bought the company and the name Gaffrig. He spends years and money to bring the name recognition to what it is today. Along comes a person who is related to one of the original partners and he wants to use the same name so he can jump start his business on a name that Livorsi has made as the best instruments around. Mike Livorsi made the improvements that make Gaffrig gauges what they are today. And no matter what the lawyers and the courts come up with, I will always think of Livorsi as the "real" Gaffrigs. That's my .02
Old 06-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

Gary,
I'm not a friend of Mike Schultz, but, he took great care of me when I wanted to take my 90* sweep Gaffrig by Livorsi guages out of my brand new boat (that hasn't even gotten wet yet) and replace with 270* sweep GP guages. I didn't even realize there were different Gaffrigs until I went to do this swap. I thought Gaffrig was Gaffrig.

I guess that goes to show how much I know, right??

Your opinion is more than welcome here. That's what makes this board a great tool.
I also respect your wording, "my take on this" because the way I described the history above is the way it was described to me. There was no sale of the name (according to the story I was told) so I can only report to you what was told to me.

DAVE
Old 06-21-2003, 11:40 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

wanna hear my take on this?

my next boat will have autometer platinum guages with the trick biult in bezels and the carbon fiber faces

Quick Reply: Offshore Throttle's - Gaffrig Performance or Gaffrig Lavorsi ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.