Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What is wrong with this >

What is wrong with this

Notices

What is wrong with this

Old 07-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Baja Bopp

Default What is wrong with this

I have a 1990 Baja 250 ES. 7.4 MPI, bravo 1 with a nose cone and a mirage plus 23 prop.

It does not really want to go faster than about 40. If I trim the drive up much the prop slips like crazy. When I am going 30 or 40 even a small turn makes the prop cavitate and I have to pull the throttle back so it will catch again.

I don't even have a clue where start looking for what is wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gene Bopp

Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BB,
Easiest solution is , you're trimmed too high.
With the boat on the trailer , and the cavitaion plate of the outdrive parallel to the bottom of the boat , check your trim indicator position. If you're only interested in doing say 40mph , there is no advantage to be trimmed much higher than this .
Old 07-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Baja Bopp

Yea, there was something done to the prop. I bent the tip of one blade and had it straighted at a prop shop. Now the prop looks perfect and the hub is perfect. The boat was a dud when I bought it. I figured that the old engine was just tired. It spun a bearing and I put a new motor in, it still doesnt want to go fast. I dont think it is an over trim problem. I only trimed it a little, a few seconds worth. The gage doesn't work acuratly. But when i do trim it back down it will catch in a few seconds.

Thanks

Gene

Old 07-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TOO OLD --- It sounds like a spun hub to me also. It might just now be going bad. Try someone elses prop and see what the boat does. If it runs good then take the prop back and have him check the hub. If the hub is not bad then take the prop to someone else and have them check the blades for straitness.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Baja Bopp
But when i do trim it back down it will catch in a few seconds.

Thanks

Gene
OK, Better listen to what the boats telling you
Old 07-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Baja Bopp

Well, if the problem was just me over trimming it would be going faster. Right? I think that it should go faster than 40. How fast do you think it should go? If 40 is all this thing should do let me know.

Gene

Old 07-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That boat should be in the mid 50's with a 21 pitch.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many rpm's is the motor spinning? Without that info it's really hard to tell if it's a spun hub or not.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:48 AM
olysan

How are you measuring that speed?

Old 07-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Baja Bopp

I don't believe the tach, it is a cheepie with an adjustment screw on the back. I haven't had time to put a real tach on it, but it is not spinning fast. I just had the prop hub off. I took it off to look at it. It looks perfect. I don't really know what a torn up one would look like, but this one looks like a new one. I am using an aviation GPS set to MPH.

I will get to test out any ideas on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated. Yea, i know. Set the tach!

Thanks Gene

Quick Reply: What is wrong with this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.