Notices

CMI Ropes

Old 08-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMI Ropes

My CMIs have the old style rope gasket, anyone ever have any luck keeping these things from leaking? I replaced them again this weekend but I'm tired of doing it. Wish is had the cool colars but for now I'm stuck with the ropes. What's the secret?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine last a year if I do not have to pull the exhaust for any reason. I have to tighten them a couple times then they are set. They are a bit@& to get on though. Do not cut them even if they seem to long all mine have come cut to proper length.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Registered

Mine have all been proper length and CMI has been great at sending them at no charge. I also got the clamping tool from them which makes doing them almost painless. I did find graphite rope that is good to an unbelievable temperature, I am going to try is next time. We'll see if that works better. I have also used high temp red rtv with the ropes. Hopefully the graphite ropes will the the answer, I found it in the MSC catalog.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I need to call on that tool. Changing them is a pain without it. I have never used any sealant on mine. I have seen others that have though. I run standard CMI tails running through Teague 450 switchable muffler tips. Are your seals burning up?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys, here is my solution to the problem. I have been running this for several years with no leaks.
I went to the hardware store and bought the rope gasket material for the door on a wood burner. I found a place that had it in bulk!!! I bought a couple of yards of thinner stuff, maybe 3/8" and when I install it. I make several wraps around the pipe, pushing into the clamp with a plastic stick and tugging on the rope as I go. This makes a seal with out a seam and so far it has worked great for me.. I did it once and havent had to replace it since. When I take my headers off, I leave the pipes intact and remove the whole setup..
Hope this helps..

Dick
Old 08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally posted by paradigm shift
Guess I need to call on that tool. Changing them is a pain without it. I have never used any sealant on mine. I have seen others that have though. I run standard CMI tails running through Teague 450 switchable muffler tips. Are your seals burning up?
I have the same system, yes my seals are burning that's why I want to try the graphite rope. I like the idea in the other reply, I'm going to look for a thinner rope that I can push deeper into the flange.

The clamp works great, don't think it was specifically design for this application but it really helps getting the t-bolts in. I also use it while I tighten down on the bolts.