O/T Car Blowing out antifreeze

Notices

O/T Car Blowing out antifreeze

Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O/T Car Blowing out antifreeze

Ok, I am stumped on this, so maybe you guys can help

Im working on a 1991 toyota celica, and its blowing out antifreeze.

I serviced the raditator, filled it and watched it circultate. It does have some micro-bubbles coming out of it. I bought a new cap, and checked all the hoses going into the overflow and all of them are clear.

I put the cap on and let it pressure up. No problem. But when I take it for a test drive, it blows water into the overflow tank, then out the overflow vent. after driving a little while it gets hot from no water. add water, its fine again till it blows it out.

so circulation is good, new cap, nothings stopped up. my only guess is a leaking head gasket (micro bubbles in radiator) causing too much pressure when you drive it. Any other ideas.????
Old 08-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Head gasket.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head gasket is a good place to start. Maybe a cracked head or block? Have the system pressure checked for leaks.
If the cooling passges in the block and head are partially blocked it'll cause over heating and boiling of the coolant. Just because circulation looks good doesn't mean there aren't any blockages. Try pulling any drain plugs on the block. If nothing comes out, and you know there's coolant in there, use a stiff wire to clear the passage.
If that's the case the best thing to do is have the engine professionally flushed or pull all the core plugs and loosen the debris and fush it out that way.

My future son in-law was running nothing but water in his cooling system. He was told that he didn't need "anti-freeze" in Florida. He didn't fully understand the necessity of coolant in a cooling system.
You should've seen how orange that water was.

Last edited by Iggy; 08-19-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

i know on certain foreign makes the brains in enginerring made it so the radiator fill cap is lower then the top most part of the cooling system! So unless you get all the air out of the system you will always overheat from the steam pockets!!! What you need to do is park the car on an incline or jack up the one side of the car to make the fill cap the highest part and run it so the coolent can circulate around and get the air out of the system. Maybe that will help ya.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression check while there are no plugs in the engine. if you are down on compression in 1 or 2 cylinders and you hear a weird noise then the head gasket is your problem.

Roby