Notices

ProChargers

Old 01-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ProChargers

I've got a 454 Mag (carb) and am unhappy with the speed of my boat, 62mph on GPS. I am throwing around the idea of adding a Procharger to get the extra 10mph I so want. I'm leaning towards the ProCharger because of the lag they have at the bottom end. I don't need the instant power but want it at speed and I figure that with this setup I'm (Hopefully) less likely to blow up my stock Bravo 1. What are your expeiences with this setup?

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Ran one for three seasons. I never had a problem with customer support but I do live about a mile from them. I have heard other complain about customer support. I would consider buying one again. I say a great deal on one here on the board.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Whipple Whipple Whipple! and feather it out of the hole anyhow.

Brian
Old 01-04-2002, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

In order to get the increased top speed you HAVE to go to a much larger pitch prop. It now becomes harder to get your boat on plane. The Procharger as tested in many mags almost always complained about lack of low end power. A Whipple provides power immediately off idle. I have one on my boat and I chose the Whipple exactly for this reason--Even though I went up 6" in prop pitch and picked up a solid 12 mph, my boat now will plane faster than the stock setup. As far as hurting the drive--make sure you have a drive shower that really works and use synthetic gearlube and change it often and your drive will survive (provided it is good health already). My setup has 100 hours hard running and so far everything is good.
Another reason to buy a Whipple is that Dustin Whipple regularly surfs this board and has GREAT customer service which I have personally rec'd.

If you have specific questions you can e-mail me.

Keep us posted!!!

Dave

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Bigwavz ]
Old 01-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Registered

I've got to reply to this one !!! I had the same questions about this time last year. I choose the pro-charger systems. I had heard about an absence of low end power as well. I went from 24" 4 blades to 30" 4 blades. The boat plains faster than stock, even with the added 6" in pitch. I have used customer service at ATI and have no complaints. I gained 15 mph, and have had absolutely no issues with the engines or drives. (only upgrading engines because i want to) I do see Dustin paying lots of service dues here on the board. Use whatever you like, i think they are both good products, but glad i made pro-charger decision. my .02
steve
Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The procharger will make plenty of low end power to get you on plane easily. The blower is alway spinning forcing some amount of air into the carb (unlike a turbo which has to build up exhaust pressure to get you going). Support is great once you provide them with a SN proving you own one. Both Whipple and PC are great options.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just pondering in my head. I just can't another Crownline keeping up with me. I was talking today with a mechanic friend and he suggested yanking the motor and putting in a 540. He got a really nice on from Recon the other day.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-05-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Nuihi, I've been told by a marine engine builder who has experience with the marine carbed version ProChargers that they USUALLY tend to have problems, but he said the injection version of the ProCharger works very well. I tend to see several carbed version ProChargers for sale all the time so there is probably some merit to what he says. If you were to talk with Wolff he would probably tell you to save yourself some headaches put a bigger natuarlly aspirated cubic inch engine in your boat as your friend has done...if you want to get his input on it call him here in Michigan. Bruce Wolff 616-422-1090

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: KAAMA ]
Old 01-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Mike Shaak

Nuihi, as Crownline owner, I think that I know how you feel, as I have surprised quite a few boaters with my boat. I'm running a 225CCR with the 496MAG HO. I am very pleased with this motor. So far I haven't been beaten by a stock set-up in another boat, but I'm sure that I will.

I think that I'd opt for the 540. Just had to jump in here

Old 01-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
I was in Waterfoul's (24' Baja) boat last year when about a 21'Crownline pulled up and gave us a good run it was close but too far apart to actually see who nosed who...too close for Mike's comfort though. If the water was a little rougher there would be no question. We were fooled by the family appearance and sleeper looks of that Crownline.

Quick Reply: ProChargers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.