The perfect way of jetting a Holley >

The perfect way of jetting a Holley

Notices

The perfect way of jetting a Holley

Old 01-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bruce, Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning my carb that you did. Like I've said before, it works Grrreeaatt! (Tony the Tiger impression ) I'm just bringing this topic up because of the way many seem to jet theirs. I guess if they run WOT 100% of the time, it'll work fine.
You know, before I sent my carb to you, I have many many times thought of taking a hammer to it myself. Just didn't realize how close I was to doing it correctly, minus the key ingredent, Llama pee!
So, will you also use that hammer method to seat the valves on my heads?
Jerry
Old 01-08-2002, 04:51 AM
turbo2256

Dont use cat pee. Its to corrosive. Just look at what it does to the rims on your car.
Take the reading under the carb not from the manifold. The hose keeps blowing off.

Old 01-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomcat, looks like you've been reading the same stuff I have. I like the two stage power valve theory but, I wounder if they discontinued it because it did not work consistantly?
The other thing is in Teagues artical I think (if I remember right)he stated that both the #9381 (non-marine and non-HP with choke tower) and the 80558 (which is marine and HP)both had soft secondaries but, if you look at any Holley literature they don't mention it. I know these are similar to the 80509 and 80511 which both state that they are. Do you are anyone know for a fact if they are or not? Thanks.
BTW Bopp, I figured I would not be able to use that after I seen what it did to my bushes!
Bob
Old 01-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Holley also discontinued the electronic fuel bowl that allowed the driver to change jetting on the fly. I remember these products being advertised, but have no experience with them. They were called the Mile-a-Dial and the Quarter Mile Dial. OSO member "bck" was looking into this for blowthrough carb application.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Bruce

US1, I was just trying to explain why I had to charge so much money for your custom carburetor work, it's complicated stuff. Your on the right track with your research on jetting. Tomcat, I did follow your thread on blow through carburetor's, I must admit it caused me to drink heavily and brought back many bad memories of poorly performing engines, blown head gaskets, and burnt pistons. My conclusion is that carburetors cannot deal with the density of pressurized fuel/air, they signal totally on velocity. I install take-off EFI manifold / fuel system's on any engines that get Procharger's now. I will not do a blow through application any more. I wish you all the luck, somebody has to come up with a working solution it might as well be you. If you need a EFI set-up for your engine I have four in stock.

Old 01-09-2002, 05:19 AM
turbo2256

Blow through and EFI is really the only way

Old 01-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys. It's true, I don't really need the aggravation of solving the fundamental problem of pressurizing a carb. But there are a lot of blowthrough systems out there that could use a better carb tuning device/service. The issue is cost. If an EFI system to go with my Procharger costs say $3000, then would $1000 to modify my good marine carb be a deal? Only if it works...I'll keep you posted if I find a way!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tomcat, look in the classifieds. Someone selling a full EFI setup for $1500 if I remember right.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:47 AM
GRH

Whoa... I thought I knew a little about Carb's... but you guys on this board have really taught me a thing or two.... I knew about the hammer... but never heard of the Llama urine... great stuff... personally I prefer Demon carbs... they are very adjustable 7 user friendly....

Old 01-10-2002, 07:24 PM
turbo2256

Actually I will never purchase a Holley carb againatleast new. Therecasting equipment is to old. Bought a750marine carbfrom them lst year good thing I took it appart befo runing it. Casting flash all over out side of it all down in venturies boosters, accelerater holes between the bowel and meteing block, throttle plate holes are smaller than the bottom of the ventures and missaligned with them, metal filings inthe carb. Sent it back to the factory,theylost the carb monts late I got it back with two different style floats fix all but the missmach between the throttle plate and the carb body. Ran it that way but sometime when my friends vertical mill is free I will have to machine the bottom of the carb body down so it matches the throttle plate. Had to remove the roll pins to align the body to the throttle plate better. Should have made my own carb.

Quick Reply: The perfect way of jetting a Holley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.