Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
drive spacers >

drive spacers

Notices

drive spacers

Old 09-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, this weekend I went to the ramp again with two sets of prop's, One set of cleavers 15x30 and one set of chopper's 14 1/2x28 Couldn't get any bravos to try. The boat still wouldn't plane with the cleavers or even come close to plane, they would brake lose at about 3,000 rpm. I put on the choppers thinking it was a waste of time but did it any way and with a lot of work it finally went on plane I didn't full throttel it but at about 4400rpm's it was moving. It's my first time riding and driving a cat and it's different.I'll have to get some seat time before feeling comfortable with the boat and really getting on it. I marked a center line across my lower unit at the prop shaft and than leveled the boat and leveled the drive and the prop shaft center is1/2" above the bottom of the boat bottom using a straigt edge. do you guys think a 2" spacer would do the trick to get this boat on plane pretty easy? or should I go for a 3" I don't know too much about cats but the ones I've seen are even with the bottom so is a 1 1/2 inch below bottom good enough? need input and thanks, Keith p.s anybody have any spacers that they want to sell 2" to 3"?

Last edited by Two K's; 09-29-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You BETTER KEEP that boat!!!,you are so close,just a little more tweekin,and you'll have it right!! Dont give up the CAT!!!,Like they say,If it ain't a cat,its a dog,once you go cat ,you'll never go back,or was that black??? sea ya tripps
Old 10-01-2003, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These props on eBay are probably pretty close to what you'll need. I'm running standard 28's on mine, unless I'm serious and then on go the labbed Bravo's!.

eBay Item #: 2435235525 - Pair of 28" Bravo Props

Keep me posted on your progress.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

As you go lower with the "X" the slower the boat will be on top end. I know, you need to get on plane first. I have no problems getting on plane with the bravo 30 or 32. When I tried the 34 bravo I would blow out just before breakover. Have friend that has to have his props labed before it will not blow out on takeoff.

I would try 5 blades before I lowered the x

As far as what spacer to use I would not go more that 1" max. The 3" will get you on plane but at what cost in top speed?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Kieth:

1" spacers should put your props in the same location as mine.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Registered

Hey Tripps, Thanks for the use of your props. All our friends didn't think your wheels would work including myself. but your choppers did the job.I'm going to try to take it to the ramp again this week as long as I can get it out of the drivway. My neighbors are away this week and their cars are off the street so it should be easy. If I do I'll call you. Thanks again Eric. Thanks guys for all the input I was on the phone with Jeff this week and his boat is the same as mine with basically the same. setup. My drives are 1" higher than his so I think I will lower mine 1" and that will stop my nose cones from touching the boat at full down trim than I'll try bravos. Jeff's cobra is working fine with this combo so I think mine should too. Thanks for the help on the phone the other day Jeff. Turbojack, is that your boat in the picture? Nice boat what make is it? and thanks for input . I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Registered

Yes, It's my boat. 2001 26' eliminator daytona w/ walk thru bowrider. My son took picture when he was parasailing.

The reason I said do not go to low is I got off phone last week with guy in San Antonio with same boat as mine & he went from 90 to 103 by raising the x 2". I think he is now 1/2 below the sponsons.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Registered

turbojack Wow, That's a big difference in speed. Thanks for info. If I use a 1" spacer thats where my prop shaft center would be, about 1/2" below sponsons. Sound like you have a nice boat. I like bowrider cats. Must be nice to be able to take family and friends out at the same time in a cat. My wife wishes mine was a bowrider or a 4 seater across the back so we could bring friends. My Kids don't care as long as it's fast