Wet Transom and other gotcha's >

Wet Transom and other gotcha's

Notices

Wet Transom and other gotcha's

Old 09-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Transom and other gotcha's

Since I'm new to this, was wondering about a few things when looking for a new boat. Cars, motorcycles and the like I have a handle on that signal "bad investment". With boats, I realize it's time to learn.

I've read many threads regarding wet transom, hull defects, modifications and the like that one looks for in used boats. I realize that there is no "check list" available that lists all those items that need investigation and an explaination of how they impact the price and condition.

If there is, I would greatly appreciate this information as I'm seeing symptoms on my boat, that I've read about from the rest of you.

I'm particularly interested in the wet transom cause/effect as my tie-down brackets are producing a rust streak on the exterior and interior of my transom. Could this be the tie-down rusting or due to the water being retained.

Thanx in advance to anyone able to share info on "used boats - 101"!!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finding bad wood is really quite easy. Take a small new clean ballpien hammer and start lightly knocking on the transom. You should hear a solid higher pitch "tink". If you hear "thud" you've got water. Any glass man can show you how to do this.

Some people use the ball of a craftsman screwdriver but you can really hear the difference with the hammer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rust stains.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bajalion,
thanx for the info. IF the transom is water damaged, what is the cause and is it serious? I haven't noticed anything unusual about the boat, but it's the first and only Baja I've been in.

This might not be abnormal, but when I stop from running on plane, the wake almost overruns the back of the boat...is this normal for a 98 Hammer?

thanx again!