merlin rectangular port cast iron heads
merlin single plane intake
crane hydraulic roller camshaft #13741 296 112 lobe sep 610/632
8.9 compression
comp cams roller rockers
holley 1050 dominator
msd ignition

I would like to achieve approx 900 reliable HP
running approx 6-8 lbs boost with 92 octane fuel.

some of the changes I am considering is replace the valve springs, replace the roller lifters with some Iskys.
There is approx. 100 hrs on these engines.
Replace the exhaust valves with Iconnel valves and do the appropriate valve job.

Please respond with your recomandations and opions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks very similar to my internals. I am running a M-4 procharger/ AW-504 intercooler with 9.0:1 compression with 5-6 lbs boost. I would say yes, but would recommend an intercooler. I am not running aluminum heads, but they are good for an additional 1 lb of boost. See if Dave F replies, I bought my M-4 from him. I would think this coupled with Tomcat's R-tech cooler/carb box would be the ticket.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

I agree with what Aggressor says, I think that with your heads you are only going to get about 800hp at max. I do not like seeing that much compression but as you see others have done it with no problems
Old 10-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the replys.
One consideration was a 8-71 blower with the blower shop intercooler a must. I forgot to tell you that one Engine is counter. I am having much better support
as to spinning a Standard type blower the wrong way.
I have contacted Procharger numerous times for support on this but no luck. I would imagine the bracket that holds the procharger to the engine block would have to be "mirrored" and the procharger facing the other way, but no luck at procharger supporting this.

With a compression thickness Head gasket of .035
the nominal compression is on the High Side
at 8.5 to one. Anyone ever use a Copper Shim like perhaps a Clark. Adding that to the heads could
lower the compression.

Im considering

8-71 Blower shop blowers
Super chiller
Shimming the Head gasket to lower c/r
6-8 lbs boost max
twin 9377 dominators each engine. (have 2 already)

Perhaps a different cam??

Please respond with any suggestions.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:47 AM
VIP Member

Call Dustin at Whipple. Check out the quad rotor supercharger system. I believe it will make at least 1000 hp on pump gas on your motor.

Not to mention how impressive they will make those motors look !!!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

caveman: Those are great engines to supercharge with the changes you mentioned. The cam is fine. I have three good reasons for going with an Rtech Supersytem:

1) We use the Vortech V-7 compressor which is rated for 1000 HP and is available in counter rotating.

2) My box is not a casting so I can make it any size to fit the Dominator carb and even a larger intercooler if needed.

3) If you want that power level with that compression ratio and those heads you need to keep the intake charge air temperature as low as possible to avoid detonation. That means lowering resistance to air flow and spinning the blower as slowly as possible. That's what our Supercooler is all about.

Other than the traditional look of a roots style blower, IMHO they are less desirable in this application. I would rather see you with centrifugal or screw compressor. Look at Teague's new Whipplecharged 800 and 900 engines in this month's Powerboat. And take a look at the Rtech thread for more info on our recent boat test.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Registered

I am using that cam & it idles good, I can get idle down to 600 rpm in gear.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Registered

Turbojack,

I am using that cam as well... aren't you worried about reversion at 600 RPMs in gear? I certainly am, and even though I have my idle set a 950 in neutral, I drop to 600 once in gear. I have seen some angry faces as I go through a no wake zone since i bump the throttle up to 1000 in these areas (1000 RPMs + 28" bravo + 1.25 gear ratio = approx 8 MPH which = big wake)
Old 10-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caveman, don't use a thick head gasket to lower compression. All that does is reduce quench and cause more detonation. If you go to alum heads, you can order ones with larger chambers and get better heat dissipation.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Registered

For the 2 years & around 100hrs+ I have had this cam if I am having a reversion problem it is not showing its face. The amount of time I have it idle that low are few. When going thru no wake area I usually up idle to 800

Quick Reply: Can we add Superchargers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.