trailer brakes

Notices

trailer brakes

Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer brakes

Ok, looks like I'm having a problem with my trailer brakes. I did some work on the brake lines earlier this year and had to bleed the brakes. They didn't feel as strong after bleeding them, so I've always assumed that there was still a little air in them. Well, this past weekend I drove a couple of hours and when I stopped, I could smell the brakes. I touched one hub and nearly burned my finger! In the past the hubs were warm, but you could hold your finger on them. The drums were painted when the trailer was shot and I can see that a couple of them have a slight color change and one is definitely darker. You can clearly see where the shoes were rubbing on that drum. I know very little about brakes, so why arn't these retracting? I'm wondering if somebody might have tripped my break-away cable. My bearing buddies are fully extended on two wheels now, so does that mean that I need to repack the hubs? Did the seals burn out? There is a slight oily film on the hottest hub.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cord,the most likely cause of burning brakes on a surge system is a small piece of crap lodged in the return port of the master cylinder. It allows pressure to be applied to the wheel cylinders but traps some pressure when the master cylinder releases(you accelerate). Remove the filler cap,pump out what ever fluid you can and look at the larger of the holes in the casting. Look close for a chunk of rust or the like. Carefully clean out the hole with a piece of wire and then gently apply the master(by pushing in on it) and observe the return hole as you release the master. If nothing comes out,it may still be plugged. Try reverse bleeding it by pumping brake fluid in through a bleeder screw. That will clear them most times. If the hub was that hot,yep,you need new seals and grease,maybe even the bearings.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Registered

Default trailer brakes

One common problem resulting from serious overheating of any sort is loss of wheel bearing grease. That will quickly kill the bearings. You probably will want to repack the bearings before using the trailer again and definitely find the cause of the heat buildup. You may want to take this opportunity to replace the bearings.

Good luck with finding the problem.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

Cord, maybe you just have the pads adjusted wrong.....or too tight. There shoudl be a small rubber or metal plug on the back side of the backing plate. You can take a flathead screwdriver and move the "star" adjustment ring in or out to adjust the contact area or the pads. May be just that simple (hopefully)

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

I'm assuming these are drum brakes and not disk..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, they're drums. The heat is definetly from the brakes dragging. You can clearly see the heat was concentrated on the outside of the drum. Looks like I've got a nice big project for this weekend!

btw-whats the easiest way to bleed the brakes? It has one of those in-line actuators. We used the truck last time to work it and I was wondering if there was a easier way? Anybody ever try one of those mitivacs?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vacum bleeding is the best and easiest way. Just make sure you don't suck air around the bleeder screw. Remove the screw and apply a light coat of thick grease to the bleeder screw threads,it helps seal the screw to the wheelcylinder.

Checking the adjustment is easy,jack one wheel and spin it. should be relatively free to roll.

If the drums were that hot,prolly need new shoes too.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, especially since I drove 120miles with them dragging.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most common problem I've had with drum brakes sticking was rust in the wheel cylinders
The rust will form behind the outer boot and as the plunger comes out when the brakes are applied they stick since the rust makes the bore of the cylinder smaller.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, I pulled the drum off tonight. The outside of the drum was burned black. The entire inside of the brake is covered with soot. It's not the normal brake dust. It also had a burnt oder to the space. The seals look good and the grease looks normal. Not discolored at all and it smells just fine. The bearings look normal. The pads are glued on, not rivited. They have about 1/8" of material left. I can see that the pad has some pretty good cracks in it though.

I know from past experience that you can get a whole backing plate assembly for less than loose pads. The drums are brand new so they definetly can be turned down. I guess I'm just wondering how much I should really invest in this setup before looking at disk brakes. If the bearing look good and I put new seals in, should I buy new shoes? Should I bother to turn the drums??????

Quick Reply: trailer brakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.