Marine starter differences from auto starter >

Marine starter differences from auto starter

Notices

Marine starter differences from auto starter

Old 01-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Marine starter differences from auto starter

Can anyone tell me how to distiguish the difference between an automotive BBC starter and a marine BBC starter, either internally or external?

BT

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: blue thunder ]
Old 01-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

The marine starter ist on paper the same starter as the automotive stuff. But their is one important diffrence between the two. the marine starter is full covered that no gas from the bilge (maybe explosiv gas) can get into the startre. if you have flammable gas in the starter while starting,the sparks in the starter can light the gas and gwill give you a nice tanning color.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Simply looking at a starter it is difficult to tell one from the other. BUT, the marine starter is sealed to prevent (prevent???) explosions. Sometimes you can see the sealant at joints between the two halves of the starter (motor body and nose).

Oh, and ALWAYS run your bilge blowers before you start your motor!!!! But you knew that.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:17 AM
Registered

Not my desired way to get a tan Andree. I have a twin engine boat. One engine I know has an automotove starter because I put it there. The other one is stock mercruiser issue starter which I am confident is marine because it has a rubber insulator around the post that exists the starter housing and connects to the solenoid. There is now a third starter in the mix that I think is a marine starter, but it does not have the rubber insulator. I am trying to make sure both of my engines have the spark proof design for piece of mind. Any more insight in how to physically verify internally or externally would help a lot. I'll look for the sealant Waterfoul... thanks.

BT
Old 01-12-2002, 10:05 AM
jr

I was told two things can distinguish between a marine and an auto starter. The marine starter will have SAE Marine stamped on the side somewhere, and if you looking in the bendix and see windings, is not marine.

Old 01-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Registered

I found the SAE marine you mentioned jr. That should mean it is marine I would assume. Maybe not, when I look down the bendix I can clearly see the top of the amerature and the pole shoes. Maybe it's been basturdized.
I'm confused about if the goal of the marine starter is to keep the spark in, the gas fumes out, or whether it is to keep things open and ventilated so if gas fumes do become present, they are not concentrated enough to sustain combustion. Any more ideas?

BT

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: blue thunder ]
Old 01-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I just looked at my spare starter. It says:

SAE Marine

White ink on the motor half. It is not easy to see the sealant. But, it does have a rubber boot.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Waterfoul, can you see the windings when looking down the bendix?

BT
Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Registered

I could be wrong here but it sounds like the rubber boot you are talking about goes over the solenoid connection. If that is the case the boot is not sealing anything, rather it prevents accidental sparking from metal touching on the connection and a ground- which of course is also bad if there are fuel fumes around.

You could use some type of "Liquid electrical tape" to accomplish the same means. Look in your yellow pages for automotive electric shops- these guys likely do the rebuild for all the local parts stores and Marina's. If they can't answer you questions, without hesitation or mumbling, then skip that shop. I suspect you'll find they have the exact answers you are looking for.

I think a lot of the newer merc starters are using gear reduction starters which are awesome for reliability and partially drained batteries (From tunes or electric blenders etc.) If you have big power or a lot of initial advance its the only way to go. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running two automotive starters in my boat just run the blowers extra long ....the differance is some silicone and $300...my.02

Quick Reply: Marine starter differences from auto starter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.