GPS Question >

GPS Question

Notices

GPS Question

Old 10-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Question

I'm looking to pick up a handheld GPS unit, but don't know much about them. Any brands that area better than others?? And what about features that I should be looking for??

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Registered

i have a garmin. I think they are the most popular. one advantage is all the Garmin units function pretty much the same way. (buttons, programming, screens), This has come in handy helping friends program or use thiers. even explaining how over the marine radio.

i would spend some extra on a charting type. the prices are a lot better now.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a garmin etrex vista and imo it works great, i wanted to be able to use it for more than boating so i bought the small one to be able to carry it around if your just going to mount it in your boat i'd recommend a charting one with a large screen also. The one thing that impressed me was the detail of their software their marine package as every chart for the whole U.S. and it works awesome. This is the only gps i've ever had so maybe the other manufactures have the same thing i don't know, like rambunctious said i think garmin is the most popular. When i was looking for mine i found a site that compared the features of the garmin and the magellan, if i can find it again i'll post it here. I see rambunctious is from holland here's a snapshot coming into holland, you can zoom in further for more detail or back out to see a larger area.
Attached Thumbnails GPS Question-holland.jpg  
Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. By the way is there a service charge to use the system??
Old 10-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I have the e-map unit from Garmin. I love it. The unit is just as usefull on the water as it is on land. I would recommend getting the upgraded map and memory chip though. The basemaps are pretty good, but often there just isn't enough detail. And no, there is no service charge.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ofshore,
I have the vista also. I have looked at picking up the Garmin Bluechart for it, but I'm told the buyer can only unlock one area for downloading? What's the scoop? Is it worth the $135?

Love the Vista, but the screen is very small.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:47 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I don't know much about the handhelds, but I have a Garmin 182C Chartplotter. This unit is fantastic. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The Bluechart data is well worth the extra $$.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:58 PM
homan

Garmin etrex legend $200 luv it

Old 10-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Bluechart can be unlocked in more zones for additional charge.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:52 AM
Registered

That it the only down side $75.00 per region but you get quite a bit for your money. The lake Erie region has 216 charts in it, I looked at buying a book of charts before I bought the gps that was $85 and it had maybe 40 or 50 charts. So i guess if your going to spend the money any way your better off buying the software which allows you to print out anything you want as well as loading it into the gps.

Quick Reply: GPS Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.