Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Clam Shell Pickups / Flushing >

Clam Shell Pickups / Flushing

Notices

Clam Shell Pickups / Flushing

Old 01-15-2002, 02:20 PM
Wild Horses

Post Clam Shell Pickups / Flushing

My Formula F311 has "clam shell" pickups attached to the transom. The are long, narrow and widen at the base where they stick out below the hull to access the water.

My question, what product(s) are available to flush the system clean after being in salt water.

I want to ensure the engines are flushed each time I pull it out during my vacation in Florida.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Wild Horses ]

Old 01-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if there's an attachment to fit those pic-ups.
You could rig up two stainless ball valves in the water intake line. One to close off the normal intake line and the other to open a line going to a hose adapter.
Instant flush kit.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the setups I have seen have a valve and a T added in the line between the water inlet and the pump. There are hose connectors available to plumb to the third side of the T through another valve. The hose connectors have a flange to mount to the outside of your boat, or you could mount inside as well. Shut off the valve to the inlet, open valve to hose, and you have water supply, just don't try to run higher RPM's on the hose. (It sucks the garden hose shut)
Old 01-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

Try a waterski catalog like Ski Limited or Barts. They sell what looks like a toilet plunger with a garden hose fitting on it. The pole adjusts in length. You fit the plunger over the through-hull and the pole holds it in place against the ground. Turn on the hose and you are good to go!
Almost all inboard ski boats use this type of water pickup. I also use it to flush the A/C and Generator clamshells on my Baja.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:09 PM
Registered

Cool

My boat has transom mount offshore picks as well. The previous owner made a flushing set up that works well. He took the plungers with the hose attachment from two outboard motor clamp-on flushers, then put them together on a hose from a "T" fitting. The plungers are held over the water inlets with short bungy cords that go over the top of the water pick-up.

It sounds confusing, but is very simple. I'll try to take some pictures in the next few days and get them to you.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:03 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

bearded clam what??????
Old 01-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Wild Horses

Thanks all for the input, however, I should only need to flush 2-3 times down there as the boat will be in the water for at least 7 days while we do the Keys run.

I have an idea.... let me know if I am off-base.
The intake system I have has a set of seacocks (long rods which allow you to shut off the water supply from the exterior). If I were to simply get the boat on a trailer, shut off the seacocks, open up the sea strainers and suff a garden hose in them and fire up the engine, would not the seawater pump just suck up what it needs. Makes since to me. Flush it, shut it down and close up the strainer and open the seacock. Done.

Anybody see any problem with this arrangement?

Old 01-21-2002, 11:00 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have seen that done before, it will work. If you have 2 seas tsrainers go to the hardware store and get those Y splitters for the garden hose so you can flush both engines.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:04 AM
Wild Horses

Thanks Puder... seems my problem is solved. Now I just need to get to salt water!

Old 01-23-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

WH - I'll email some pictures of my set-up to you.

Quick Reply: Clam Shell Pickups / Flushing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.