Seawater pump impeller orientation 454 MAG MPI >

Seawater pump impeller orientation 454 MAG MPI

Notices

Seawater pump impeller orientation 454 MAG MPI

Old 11-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seawater pump impeller orientation 454 MAG MPI

Can anyone tell me the proper orientation for the impeller toi go into the seawater pump? I'm not sure which way the fins are supposed to face. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a full member so if you have pics you can email them to me at [email protected].

Thanks in advance,

Ted
Old 11-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe that it doesn't matter as the fins will just flip over.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Registered

on the front of the impeller housing(were the hoses are attached) there is a directional arrow that indicates rotation. it does matter which way it rotates. if put in opposite, and they flip around, you run the risk of tearing the new vanes off and replacing the impeller again. remember to lube the impeller with soap to make instillation easier...
Old 11-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

That's kinda what I thought. I started the boat a few days ago and I got a major belt squeal and then the belt snapped. Uh-oh! Bought a new belt after letting a heater run in the engine compartment for a day or two. Put the new belt on, ran fine then it started squealing again. So i pulled the seawater pump and it looked fine, although it seems the pump may have been rotating the wrong way? I guess it's possible I put the belt on wrong, but it looks like it can only go one way. Anyone have a diagram of belt orientation they can email me so I can be sure I am putting it on right?

Thanks again.

Ted

[email protected]
Old 11-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is someone going to ask if he has water? Just kidding! Inspect the housing for grooves and check belt tension. If the impeller is lubed with soap just prior to installation or grease it should be fine regardless of the vane orientation.

Ran into a guy at the ramp one day and he asked if I knew anything about boats. I said a little, whats up? He replies "boat ran fine in the driveway this morning but now it is overheating". After much checking and some quick discussion I felt it necessary to inform him of a little gadget called a flush muff. This seemed to confuse him so he put it back on the trailer.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Registered

Yeah I am using water. I have that stupid low water pickup so I had to buy the $60 flusher muff from Mercruiser back when I bought the boat. I am installing a new seawater pump kit just to be safe. Body, impeller, and wearplate. After looking at a few photos I took last summer it seems I am putting the belt on the right way. All I'm trying to do is get some antifreeze into the motor and fog it. I hit a submerged log last time I was out and I got some wood in the water pickup, but it seemed to clear itself by the time I got back to the dock. I haven't run it since on the muff so I am just going to back flush all the hoses to make sure everything is clear and then bolt the rebuilt seawater pump on and hope all is well. If not, I'll be pretty p.o.'ed. Anyway, wish me luck.

Ted
Old 11-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Registered

Well, still no luck. I backflushed from the thermostat housing on the right side through the fuel cooler. Then from the fuel cooler through the power steering cooler. then from there through the hose to the seawater pump, and from the input to the seawater pump through the outdrive. Everything seemed to be flowing fine. So I put the rebult seawater pump on, threw the belt on and fired it up on the hose. Very little water was coming out the exhaust so I shut it down By very little I mean it was basically only dripping. Normally a lot of water comes out the exhaust running on the hose. No belt squeal or anything like that, so what am I missing here?

Ted
Old 11-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

disconnect the reinforced hose from the transom and hook the garden hose up to it. You can just stuff the end in and tighten the clamp. Now run the engine. Do you have water flow? Yes, then you have a clog in the drive. No? Then there is a obstruction after after the drive. Check which way the hoses are connected to the pump. It's really easy to reverse these. Try it again. No water flow? Now take the hose off the oil cooler and back flush the cooler. Try it again. Hopefully it's working now.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Registered

Did the pump pulley spin freely when you had it apart, ive seen pumps lock up before and break the belt? Also make sure you put the hoses in the correct position on the pump, the back of the housing is labeled as to which hose goes where according to the engines rotation. If you arent sure of the roatation of your engine, when standing behind the engine if it spins cc clockwise its left hand and clockwise is right hand.Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the hoses could very well be reversed on the pump. Double check them.

BTW, I've never had a problem with which way the vanes are when replacing. Which ever makes it easier to install, that's what I do. I also use dishsoap for lube, so that will eliminate any problem of them getting torn when they flip. The vanes are very forgiving, when not dry. They will flip around in the 1st pump rotation. 99% of the motors will have the hard hose (inlet) from the drive going to the top port of the pump.

As far as the belt, it just goes around the pump pulley and the crank pulley with the bottom of the belt going up and over the adjustment wheel.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 11-14-2003 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Seawater pump impeller orientation 454 MAG MPI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.